VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ativan

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I go to the pain clinic at the VA. Every time I get a new doctor I get new meds. Even if I am satisfied with what I am getting the new doctor always thinks he has the answer. I think that is true of psychiatrists as well. Everyone else who has treated you is wrong and the new guy is right. They also assume the patient does not know what they are talking about. If you like the drug something must be wrong.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My private psychiatrist just ordered lorazepam for me last week, plus Ambien to add to the Clonipin that I've been taking. The Ambien doesn't seem to be making a difference, but it's a low dose.

The lorazepam (ativan?) is to help me get through my daughter's college graduation at the end of the month. There will be F'ing relatives to deal with, plus the crowd at the ceremony. He said that the effect will be quick and should help stave off panic attacks. He only gave me 10, so I haven't tried any yet.

We have to go down to the college this weekend, because wouldn't you know my kid is being honored for being on the dean's list for the last 4 semesters. I'm happy and proud, but dreading the event! I guess I'll find out how the "no-kill-pill" works... For me it will be a no-spill-pill, meaning no spilling my panic all over the place, no high pitched wail... that would be a good thing, right?

So if it works this weekend, he might give me more for graduation at the end of the month.

How long should the effects last?

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has a campaign against the xanax and valium type drugs. They are afraid of vets selling these drugs and OD's. I get clonazepam. It helps me sleep. My VA shrink prescribed it and the pain clinic says it is bad. If you take any of these drugs as prescribed you can't just stop suddenly. The withdrawl from them is worse than for oxycodone. If you take no more than your prescribed amount it is not too bad. If you take more and get addicted then you will need help getting off the stuff. The VA told me they could not prescribe cymbalta (too expensive) and at the same time they said this would cure my pain disorder. Great.....I don't believe it, of course. I don't believe anything any doctor tells me besides setting bones maybe.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a little lost, but I believe the question was about Ativan?

I took the drug for a short period, but did not find any relief.

I have taken Valium 5 mg now for 33 years and have never had to double up on the drug and I have not noticed any side effects.

Do I still stay anxious, you bet, but I am anxious no matter what the drug is.

In my years there just aren't many I haven't tried.

It only takes the doorbell to ring to set me off.

Wives have to deal from a lot from their husbands, but I have a husband that has had to carry me since we were

married in 1965. A lot of years to deal with my illness and he didn't receive a dime from the VA for the

first 40 years. I didn't start receiving anything from them until that first large check came in 2008.

Monthly checks started then and then another large check.

He thought I was worth saving and I am sure each and every wife out there of you veterans feels the same way.

God Bless You All!!

I am rattling too much.

Thanks for listening.

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Josephine

My experience with Ativan and all other of these anti-anxiety drugs is that the VA is so afraid a vet will over dose and they will get blamed. It is not out of concern for us vets, but for their CYA. They assume every vet is going to abuse the drugs or sell them. I take some pain meds and the pain clinic people would just throw a fit when it showed I got clonazepam from VA also. They told me a few months ago that they made a mistake when they started prescribing me narcotic pain killers 6 years ago. I guess that would be malpractice.

• HadIt.com Elder

John,

I have only walked into a VA hospital 3 times in my life and it was for those darn C&P examinations.

Lord willing I will never do that again.

I have always gotten all of my meds from my private doctor and have been for the last 33 years.

I still do not trust those xxxxxxxx!

Edited by Josephine