VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ss Disability Or Va Benefits

teejay53

Question

i would like your advice on the following.

my leg was removed oct 4, 2009. my hubby suggested i file for ss disability benefits on oct 10, 2009 and i did.

he passed away unexpectedly on oct 15, 2009 and i was instructed to file for veteran widow's benefits even though i had already filed for ss benefits.

i had not heard anything from ss until friday (feb 19, 2010) telling me of a coming one time appointment with their doctor in march 10 - i have forgot about filing ss with all information gathering for the va and other issues that has been going on.

my question is:

should i keep my ss disability appointment in march or not go and wait on the va.

i have sent all information the va required (including his doctor's letter showing what he passed away from was service related and the vcca letter)?

i filed for homebound and dic and pension (st. paul is working claim).

again thank you for the help.

B)

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
it is very frustrating as i can never get in contact with the va representative that i went to see to help me with my forms in the beginning. he goes from office to office to office.

the other different va agents i have seen never have time to spend to help other than to answer a question and we are through with our fast appointment.

my hubby's personal doctor wrote a letter to the va (the following was part of the letter):

specifically, his hepatic cirrhosis and resultant esopageal varices were the direct result of the hep c and had no risk factors for contracting hep c except for the blood products he received while hospitalized in 1978 for the severe injury he received while active in the marines.

he was 25% disabled

i filed for dic, homebound and pension ... this was the correct thing to do?

Yes.

i was under the impression that you could only receive on or the other (ssdi or dic, homebound or pension)?

Once more, again:

Yes, keep your Social Security appointment.

You are entitled to both.

any help is appreciated.

have a blessed day.

:mellow: