VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The White Envelope Came!

Rate this question

Julie2

Question

B) Julie2

Hi All, the white envelope must have come yesterday in the mail. I just got it, and wanted to let Berta, JRW, and whoever else I was talking to about my Husbands Death. He was Service Connected with Hypertension 20%, he was RVN 23 years service, he died June 10th 2009. Death from "Coronary Artery Atherosclerosis" after 8months tommorrow, I have just been granted DIC, chaper 35, I guess ck will follow. Thank you all for your comments, as I was sure I was gonna have to wait and re-file under the Ischemic Heart Disease, but, they did me right, I'm 52years old been on unemployment since last May 1st and have been trying to get a job, but, I have run into alot of "Age Discrimenation" out there, so, at least I know for the rest of my life, my bills will be paid. Thank-You God, my Husband and the USA and all of you as I was really stressing out, and on my last nerve, so I want to thank-you all for being so supportive. I probably should have put this in the "Sucess Stories" but, this is where I found you all, so once again Thank-you all.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

This is wonderful news, and it didnt really take that long for them to award.

You should certainly be eligible for CHAMPVA-did they mention that in the award letter?

I got my CHAMPVA notice a few weeks after my initial DIC award.

Also you might get a letter from Gold STtr Wives asking you to join.

Unless things have changed GSW is the only organization that VA contacts when a survivor receives DIC.

Champva and CHapter 35 are great benefits.

I need to ask- with 23 years of his military service-I assume you do not get SBP?

(or if you do has anyone explained the SBP -DIC offset to you?)

I mentioned CHAMPVA but wonder if you in fact would get Tricare due to his retiree status?

B) Julie2

Thank you everyone, one question though, I see they did not mention in my letter anything about "Buriel benefits"??? I know I applied. Also, yes I have had TRICARE since last Aug. it is absolutely wonderful health Ins. Also, SBP, ex-wife got half his pension, so, he never put me on, I can only figure now, that he knew the DIC benefits would pay more than his half of Pension that he got, as I know I asked him a while back and he said that for what the cost was that it wouldn't benefit me. Guess he was right, and never talked about it again. Just didn't figure I needed to talk about it anymore, as he was only 58 years old when he passed. But, if anyone could advise me on the Buriel benefit I would appreciate it, I do go see the VA Rep tommorrow so guess he will tell me. I got the Chapter 35 to information. At least I don't have to worry about Unemployment running out now, my bills will be paid!! Thank-God.

Julie- the Burial application should have been part of your 21-534 form.

If not-the rep should have the form you need.

Although my burial app was in my C file I think I had to send them another one when I got my award letter.

I got the funeral- burial award money last week-they needed a copy of the paid funeral bill.

These claims are sent to Phila VA for payment and they don't take too long once a SC death award is made.