VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

I got out of active duty on the 15april09. I made a claim for my back, bladder and some other things. I recieved a decision and everything was rated at 80%. I had a fusion on 1 Jan 08. I am now expiriencing some depression and have been seeing a phyc for a couple months now through the VA. My doc from the VA say's and knows I also suffer from chronic pain. I am taking narcotics to help control that. My doc put me on depression meds about 6 months ago. Not being able to do the things I once did and having bladder issues have cuased my depression. I did not add that to my original claim becuase i did not have that much depression then but now do. So can I now claim depression and chronic pain? Chronic pain is not considered a specific disability so can that be claimed a different way? My phyc put me on anxiety meds and a higher dose of depression meds.

The Va sent me the packet about they are working on my claim and want doc notes etc. Should I get these myself from the Va or just tell them on the form the dates and doc I am seeing as the ask on the form? Thanks to all who give advice.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

depression could be 2ndary to ur back condition/pain (if u r SC'd for back or pain already). Search this site & u will find quite a few threads in relation to this tye of thing.

Confused, cuz you asked if you can claim depression 2ndary to back/pain but then u said VA is working on claim...What claim is VA working on?

If ur MH doc is a non-VA doc, then yes tell them the dates....if it is a VA doc then there's no need to tell them the dates.

Hope this helps ya out, as I'm just trying to "pay it forward", as others have done for me!

I got out of active duty on the 15april09. I made a claim for my back, bladder and some other things. I recieved a decision and everything was rated at 80%. I had a fusion on 1 Jan 08. I am now expiriencing some depression and have been seeing a phyc for a couple months now through the VA. My doc from the VA say's and knows I also suffer from chronic pain. I am taking narcotics to help control that. My doc put me on depression meds about 6 months ago. Not being able to do the things I once did and having bladder issues have cuased my depression. I did not add that to my original claim becuase i did not have that much depression then but now do. So can I now claim depression and chronic pain? Chronic pain is not considered a specific disability so can that be claimed a different way? My phyc put me on anxiety meds and a higher dose of depression meds.

The Va sent me the packet about they are working on my claim and want doc notes etc. Should I get these myself from the Va or just tell them on the form the dates and doc I am seeing as the ask on the form? Thanks to all who give advice.

The easier that you make a claim for the VARO, the better it is for you. So yes, at the very least give them dates. However, I ALWAYS provide copies of doctor notes as well as the dates. I've learned the hard way that they tend to be lazy, so I do all the leg work and let them do the rest. As for psych you will only be rated for one condition, and it will be the one with the highest rating all the rest will be listed but not rated.

Hope this helps,

Bergie

I got out of active duty on the 15april09. I made a claim for my back, bladder and some other things. I recieved a decision and everything was rated at 80%.

willie 74,

Did you go through the BDD program on your exit from AD ?

What disabilities is your 80 percent SC for and what percentages for each ?

carlie

Also did they consider you for TDIU or are you still employed?

You are right that they do not consider pain as a disability but the Deluca factor might be a position you could use in your claim:

This BVA decision was remanded because the Deluca factor was not considered.I am not sure if your claims involved pain on ROM:

"In addition, the April 2008 VA examination of the Veteran's

spine was not adequate. The examiner made no mention of the

Deluca factors as required. DeLuca v. Brown, 8 Vet. App. 202

(1995) (evaluation of a service-connected disability

involving a joint rated on limitation of motion requires

adequate consideration of functional loss due to pain under

38 C.F.R. § 4.40 and functional loss due to weakness,

fatigability, incoordination or pain on movement of a joint

under 38 C.F.R. § 4.45).

"My doc from the VA say's and knows I also suffer from chronic pain." If this doctor or any doctor you have can state in the clinical record (or with an independent medical opinion that the depression stems from your SC disability (ies)

then the VA can grant secondary compensation- if you filed a claim for the depression as secondary-or are going to.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you claim chronic pain disorder and depression you will get one rating for both.

Welcome to the club! If you go to the VA pain clinic you will probably get oxycodone, morphine or methadone. Eat lots of fiber because you will need it. Morphine will turn your colon into concrete.