VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Pension W/category 5 Va Health Care

GuaymasJim

If a Veteran is receiving a VA pension due to poverty and is enrolled/receiving for health care as a Category 5 veteran, how will having additional income impact his eligibility for VA health care?

66 year old Vietnam era vet

Social Security is currently his only other income.

Enrolled as a Category 5 and is receiving a huge amount of VA health care with no co-pays.

He might have opportunity in the future to earn some money. If he does, in fact, earn some money will he lose his Category 5 and be reduced to Category 8?

He realizes his pension will be reduced dollar for dollar by whatever he earns, but he is extremely nervous about losing his access to health care (aren't we all?). If it only means that he will have to pay co-pays, he sees no problem.

I have never dealt with VA pensions and/or VA enrollment, so I have no answers for my friend. I am sure my friends at hadit will.

Thanks!

PS I was shocked to see him get approved for his pension and Category 5 enrollment 23 days after he applied! Is this common?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim they keep changing the rules but you should double check everything. I think that once he is in the system the health care will stay the same unless they notify him differently. I know that Pension is offset dollar per dollar in the old days.