VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prozac ( Fluoxetine )and Amitritplyne Together

Rate this topic

Well, my psyche changed my scrip from the zoloft which was making me very drowsy and has prescribed Prozac (which I have taken in the past successfully) along with Amitriptlyne at night to help with pain and imsomnia.....Now I am sitting at my desk at work attempting to function and to stay awake.....I am going to get ahold of my psyche and ask to stop the amitriptlyne...It is making me worse than the Zoloft did......If anyone else had these problems let me know.....Grid

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The Amitriptlyne zonked me out when I took it, but that was years ago. There are other medications you can take to help sleep, like ambien or even over the counter benadryl. Before switching meds, be sure you get approval from your doc.

• HadIt.com Elder

Elavel and prozac together is a little much since both are potent anti-depressants. Some of the older type anti-depressants can really knock you on your ass. Do not take Mirtazapine is you don't want to be on the couch for three days. I took one 30mg tab and I could not think straight for three days.

• HadIt.com Elder

I took them both and they didnt phase me at all..

Then I took topomax and started to drive several miles past my destinations.

Go figure.

I would get a 2nd opinion before I started a regiment of 2 drugs for the same thing. Sometimes the VA can over medicate.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Topmax had no effect on me. You can't tell how a drug is going to effect you until you take it. Many of the mood stabilizers are anti-seizure meds. They are used off label for depression and mania and PTSD. The doctors just throw them at you. I know topomax can hurt your eyes in some cases. I have taken many of these drugs and I still hurt and feel depressed about it.

I take Prozac and Doxepin HCL with pretty good results.

I tried Topamax awhile back, I always had a slight headache and couldn't figure out the total of 2+2. That's why some folks call it "Stupamax" LOL.

My psych RN told me to never mix Prozac with Ambien, it could be real bad or even fatal. So make sure you consult a doctor or pharmacist before you mix drugs. Some of the psych meds don't fool around when you mix them; I wouldn't want to wind up looking like some of those folks from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".