VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prozac ( Fluoxetine )and Amitritplyne Together

Rate this topic

I take Amitriptlyne 10mg, the psyh. Doc's have found that Amitriptlyne helps more for pain than what it was intended for, mental health. Too much will make me drowsy or hang-over in the morning but if I stop it completely I feel more pain. I was taking 50mg at one time and it took me a while to figure it out.

David

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my psyche to let me stop taking the amitritpline...It was just too much...Am still taking the Prozac but it has worked for me with few side effects in the past.....Also am taking Ambien for sleep also, Psyche knows and I asked...Am really starting to question how good my psyche is....Thanks for all the answers....Grid

Info on mixing Prozac (fluoxetine HCL) and Ambien (zolpidem)

Honestly, I am not putting this here to scare anyone, only to say please be watchful for symptoms, make sure you discuss mixing them with doctor and/or pharmacist. There is the possibility of negative eefects on breathing and on the central nervous system. I personally am OK with some effects on my nervous system, but anytime the word 'breathing' comes into play, I am reminded how much I enjoy breathing; breathing is good! And it's an important part of my life! I almost had to give it up a few times last year, it just got so bad, but God decided I wasn't ready for the dirt nap just yet!

As a matter of fact, I had some scary effects from another VA-prescribed drug once (tegretol) so I just try to be aware of what these things can do to me. Happy breathing, everybody!

This info is from drugs.com, the USDA website:

Results for the following 2 drugs:

Ambien (zolpidem)

Prozac (fluoxetine)

Interactions between your selected drugs

fluoxetine ⇔ zolpidem

Applies to:Prozac (fluoxetine) and Ambien (zolpidem)

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

ine) and Ambien