VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected?

teejay53

Question

my deceased husband's doctor wrote a letter to the va stating my husband had no risk factors for contracting hep c except through blood transfusions he received while in the service. however, hep c is not listed as one of the service connected disabilities, which are:

general digestive condition,

general,

general respiratory condition

i was speaking with a veteran while waiting at the doctor and he told me that my husband's doctor should have added to the va letter that other ways he could have contracted hep c in the service were:

Jet “air gun” injections * Medical procedures * Blood transfusions * Re-used needles, syringes, and vials * Dental procedures * Blood-based products/vaccines * Finger pricks/lancets

should i have the doctor write a 2nd letter to the va with this information in it or referencing other information that would service connect his hep c.

thank you for your help.

:blink:

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

This Hepatitis site has a wealth of information involvng veterans with Hep C.

http://www.hcvets.com/index.html

The statistics they posted are startling:

A study conducted in 1999, by the Veterans Health Administration (VHA), and involving 26,000 veterans shows that up to 10% of all veterans in the VHA system tested positive for hepatitis C.

Of the total number of persons who were hepatitis C antibody positive, and reported an era of service, 62.7% were noted to be from the Vietnam. The second most frequent group is listed as post-Vietnam at 18.2%, followed by 4.8% Korean conflict, 4.3% post-Korean conflict, 4.2% from WWII, and 2.7% Persian Gulf era veterans.[1], “

They also state this above the list at the site:

The following list are recognized service connected transmission methods for the Hepatitis C virus and other bloodborne pathogens. If a veteran applies for benefits and does not have "other" risk factors, or can prove service was a "greater risk" for infection with Hepatitis C, will be eligible for service connection. “

The doctor's statement you have is good but I feel the VA will question it unless you have proof of the inservice surgery or any other proof of any way he could have gotten Hepatitis.

i have ordered my husband's medical records that have the surgery (because of his stabbing) information in them. when i called earlier this week to check in the status of the medical records, i was told the medical records arrived for review at the pension mgmt center in st paul in early january.

he only had blood transfusions during the surgery. of course he had immunizations and such, but his doctor has referenced several granted claims serviced-connected hep c from blood transfusion.

thank you your help.