VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Ache Pain

Rate this topic

For some time now I have had a problem with my back. As I have gained weight it has gotten worse. It finally got so bad that I can only walk about 150 feet and my lower back hurts so bad that I have to sit down. It is now, also, being followed by shortness of breath. When I sit upright my shoulders hurt from my arms hanging. I went to the local VA and after waiting 2 1/2 hours (I have a doctor but he doesn't have any available appointments) I was seen and all they gave me was a prescription for 800 mg of Motren and told me to take it three times a day. All it has done is upset my stomach.

Is there anything that any of you have taken that will shut done this pain?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to demand a referral to the Pain Clinic at the VA. Did the VA do an MRI? Losing weight is good and walking is good but you need a complete physical to rule out other problems. If you have other insurance go to a real doctor.

He's right, get an MRI, you may need to go to a pain clinic. While your getting all this done you should try a massage therapist. They are alittle expense, I've suffered for a all time and tried everything. Massage while help, only problem is its short term and you have to keep going.

Edited by david walker

• HadIt.com Elder

OhioDan

I just got 12 steroid shots in my lower back. It gets worse from there on out. If you can do anything to avoid surgery do it.

OhioDonn, I went to a pain clinic for the same problems that you described for your back and the last time that I went they gave me a steroid shot and after I went home and went to bed feeling really bad and awakening and trying to get up and falling back over and trying to get up and falling over several times I got my wife to take me back to the VAMC and they told me that I got some of the steroids in my spinal canal. The pain clinic wanted to know if I wanted to do it again and I would imagine that you know what the answer was. I did not go back and besides it only worked for a day or so for me. I am now taking Oxycodone and an inflamatory medicine for my pain and it knocks it down to a tolerable level. Even after taking the meds for it and I do anything it flairs up as if I hadn't taken meds at all.

• HadIt.com Elder

Railroder

Did they inject your back with the floroscope (x-ray) aided facet block? I had it done by private pain management doctor. Sometimes it really works and other times nothing. I had an ablation to the cervical spine but that did not work on my neck. I think I am being to really feel the arthritus in every joint. Both shoulders and my back and neck....damn no cure. I have the most pain when getting up in the morning and after resting in lazy boy for longer periods of time. No pain when walking except in my feet.