VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On Tdiu Claim Please

Rate this question

redspot321

Question

Hello everyone.

I am currently rated at 90% with my highest rating at 60%. I have crohns disease, several blown disks, and avascular necrosis of both hips.

I am considering filing for IU but I dont know if I can afford it. I am really killing my self by going to work everyday but I dont know what to do.

I take injections to knock out my immune system and I work as a respiratory therapist. I also work 12 hour shifts which kill my hips. I need bilateral joint replacements.

I am 31 years old have 3 kids and have a lot of monthly payments. Despite the pain and agony I have to drag my ass to work to make ends meet. As my disibilities are worsening I must consider IU.

My questions.

-Can I file for IU despite the fact that I am currently working? There is no way I can quit or be without income for 6 months first.

-If I did receive IU would I qualify for SSD? What is an average monthly payment?

-I make 55K + my 90% now.

If I went to 100% TDIU I would take a huge pay cut!

- How hard is it to be IU P&T? this would save me $450 a month in county taxes and would off set the pay cut.

Im having a hard time with this....

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hello everyone.

I am currently rated at 90% with my highest rating at 60%. I have crohns disease, several blown disks, and avascular necrosis of both hips.

I am considering filing for IU but I dont know if I can afford it. I am really killing my self by going to work everyday but I dont know what to do.

I take injections to knock out my immune system and I work as a respiratory therapist. I also work 12 hour shifts which kill my hips. I need bilateral joint replacements.

I am 31 years old have 3 kids and have a lot of monthly payments. Despite the pain and agony I have to drag my ass to work to make ends meet. As my disibilities are worsening I must consider IU.

My questions.

-Can I file for IU despite the fact that I am currently working? There is no way I can quit or be without income for 6 months first.

You cannot be employed and making $55K and expect to get TDIU. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but you basically need to have no employment at the time of filing and have medical proof that your SC disabilities prevent you from gaining or maintaining gainful employment. The rules for TDIU can be found on this and other forums. By the way it sounds, you are out of luck. :o

-If I did receive IU would I qualify for SSD? What is an average monthly payment?

SSDI is a completely separate program from TDIU. For SSDI you need to file at Social Security. The amount of your SSDI payment is given to everyone on their annual statement from SocSec. There is no set amount. It depends on how much you have put into SocSec over the years. This statement normally arrives in the mail about three months before your birthday (don't quote me on this).

-I make 55K + my 90% now.

If I went to 100% TDIU I would take a huge pay cut!

- How hard is it to be IU P&T? this would save me $450 a month in county taxes and would off set the pay cut.

It's not a matter of how hard it is to get TDIU P&T, it's a matter of how disabled you are and how aggrevating your disabilities are. That is for the Drs. to determine thru exams.

Im having a hard time with this....

See the above red type for a few answers. Others will chim in with their opinions I'm sure.

The way your situation sounds to me, if you can still work, then work. Once it becomes impossible to do, then stop working and file for TDIU and SSDI.

You will need LOTS of medical documentation from VA Drs or your own private Dr indicating that your SC disabilities are what cause you unemployability. Just remember, the VA cannot descriminate because of your young age, but SocSec can. Also, the VA can only take into account your SC disabilities, whereas, SocSec looks at every disability you have.

Hope this helps some. Again, I'm sure others will chim in.

Lyndenrider