VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Records

Rate this question

Medic4849

Question

ok

the objective simply request a copy of all medical records including inpatient out patient and mental health treatments from a specific date to the present.

location.... local VAMC at medical records office.

once there i requested the action. she instantly sighed.... I said in a atitude I am sorry Iam i bothering you she just stared no but there going to have to mail them to you. i said fine i filled out the form

va-10-5345a and the Bia--@!#@#$tch snapped it from my hand and asked for ID......... this time I bit my tongue and di just what she asked but I gave her military ID, she said no your VA card.. I snapped with a fast response you said ID be specific then.

gave her the card va card she walks off shaking her head comes back states will be mailed out in few days....

fine. can i have a copy of my VA-10-5345a she does marks it copy this is where the plot thickens. I did not like the whole auro of my request so I resorted to my old fasion drill sgt days and requested a copy cert recipt she looks at me says its marked copy I stated yes I can make copies all day long to sign it please its proof i was here and i wont ask you for id since i see your id on you please make it legible MRS.XXXXXXXXX

she starts to get a little nervous at this point then states I never have had to do this i stated I never had to either but your atitude and presentation makes me question the integrity of this offices follow through on veterans request for there life line of records one that they placed you in charge of. and I walked out the door.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bet you made her day. I am pretty sure you will get them in due time. Also did you know that it will only be the medical records of what happened at that VAMC

• HadIt.com Elder

"Medical Records, was I out of line??"

If you have to ask, then you already know the answer. Doncha?

• HadIt.com Elder

Treat them like they are small, confused children and you will get better result. Speak slowly and clearly. Ask the VA employee how their day is going. They are all miserable so shock them and be nice. Their bosses treat them like dirt, and the only place they could find to work was the VA. Pity them.

I have been going with my Dad to the local VA clinic to be my dad's eyes, ears and brain. My new best friend is the guy at the window when you walk in. I treat him with respect and dignity. I cannot believe the wonderful treatment I get from this guy who is a 55ish overweight sedentary fellow.

Being nice has it's rewards. Being my Dad's advocate also makes sure harried VA employees no matter what their status gives him the time of day and decent treatment.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have been going with my Dad to the local VA clinic to be my dad's eyes, ears and brain. My new best friend is the guy at the window when you walk in. I treat him with respect and dignity. I cannot believe the wonderful treatment I get from this guy who is a 55ish overweight sedentary fellow.

Being nice has it's rewards. Being my Dad's advocate also makes sure harried VA employees no matter what their status gives him the time of day and decent treatment.

Funny about 10 years ago I had an epiphany and decided no matter how angry or mad the VA made me I would not be sarcastic nor belittle but I would show appreciation and thank each person I dealt with at VA. I was amazed at how much better my life got and I have now included my dealings with all people that I deal with. I try to be as pleasant as I can and I won't argue. It does not mean that I am a doormat either as I will take a problem up the ladder if need be.

"Honey catches more flies than Vinegar"

I'm a 'Nam vet. After over 35 years, I ended up going to the VA for medical treatment in 2007. So far everybody's treated me with respect. I've run into a few people with attitudes but nothing serious. I try hard to treat people as I would want to be treated if I were in their place so that may make a difference.

Truth is, I have more trouble when I'm trying to connect with a real person on the phone. I have no patience for automated phone systems and get so frustrated. A lot of the systems won't allow you to hit 0 for an operator these days. Recently I was trying to get medical records from a FL based hospital sent to my VRO in TN. After several calls/minutes trying to get thru to hospital's medical records department, I finally got a hold of a real person and explained that I'd received second notice from the VA because they hadn't received my medical records and the gal immediately shut me down saying I would have to come to hospital before they could give me any information since it was the VA. I remained calm/polite and explained that I now live in TN, and the VRO had sent my signed records release as a courtesy to me and it was my responsibility to see that they receive the records. She put me on hold and returned to say that she'd found my release at the bottom of a pile. She then asked me for the VRO's fax number, which I didn't have. So, I told her to call the 800 number and we ended our conversation with her promise to fax the records that day.....but that's not the end of the story....I thought I'd better follow thru so I called the 800 number, since I hadn't done that yet. After 12 minutes trying to get thru the VA's automated system I knew the hospital wouldn't waste their time so I stuck with it and finally got thru to a rep. I got my VRO's fax number and called the hospital back with the info. They really appreciated my help. While I was at it I asked them to mail me their hospital release form & fee requirements so I can get hard copies of my records for my files.

The VA doesn't make things easy..that's for sure...but it's pretty much the way it is everywhere these days and treating everybody as you would want to be treated does help a bit.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use