VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question - Disability Compensation And Marriage

Rate this question

celli

Question

I am a disabled Vet who posted here several times and you guys have a been a great help to me.

My question is: My boyfriend is also a disabled Vet receiving 50% and I currently receive 70%. If we got married how does that affect the compensation other than it possibly being increased? Could it negatively affect the amount as we are both disabled?

Also, as a dependent to a disabled vet receiving comp benefits, what happens if that person were to die? I have a 5 yr old daughter and wonder what will happen if I died - would she receive any monetary allowance or compensation on my behalf? AND if I were married would my widowed husband receive anything and visa versa?

God bless you all! :P :o

Celli

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
I am a disabled Vet who posted here several times and you guys have a been a great help to me.

My question is: My boyfriend is also a disabled Vet receiving 50% and I currently receive 70%. If we got married how does that affect the compensation other than it possibly being increased? Why would it be increased? It's not going to make either one of you 120% (70% + 50)

Could it negatively affect the amount as we are both disabled? Why would it have an affect upon how disabled you are?

Also, as a dependent to a disabled vet receiving comp benefits, what happens if that person were to die? Actually, nothing.

I have a 5 yr old daughter and wonder what will happen if I died - would she receive any monetary allowance or compensation on my behalf? No.

AND if I were married would my widowed husband receive anything and visa versa? No.

IF, If you or your spouse were 100% disabled, then the answers to these questions would be somewhat different.

Celli

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, a married disabled vet over 30% does get extra money paid for the spouse and dependents. I don't know if both or just one of you would get paid extra. If one or the other of you is not able to work you should file for TDIU. If you are 70% and not working then you would probably be about to get TDIU. I don't know if a vet can get DIC and compenstion at the same time.

My question is: My boyfriend is also a disabled Vet receiving 50% and I currently receive 70%. If we got married how does that affect the compensation other than it possibly being increased? Could it negatively affect the amount as we are both disabled?

Also, as a dependent to a disabled vet receiving comp benefits, what happens if that person were to die? I have a 5 yr old daughter and wonder what will happen if I died - would she receive any monetary allowance or compensation on my behalf? AND if I were married would my widowed husband receive anything and visa versa?

Celli

You both get to claim each other as dependents. You both also get to claim your child as a dependent. If he has children you both get to claim them as dependents. There are some things at the VA that works on behalf of the veteran. If if he/she die of a service connected injury you can file for dependent indenmity compensation (DIC).

Edited by sharon