VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Migraines

Rate this question

burghpitts

Question

Hi, Ive been in the USAF for 7 years now, I have been getting migraines for over a year now. The migraines just started happening, I am seeing a neurologist and trying several medications nothing has been working thus far. We do not how they started, so when I go to the VA how are going to be considered service connected? please help! thank you

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I have a long and complicated history with migraines. I type this post from a dark room with a low e monitor turned down all the way.... so trust me when i say I feel your pain. It was strange, most of the time I was on active duty I was seeking to minimize my symptoms. First out of pride (not wanting to admit that a 'headache' would get in the way of my doing my job) then later trying to avoid a med board. I was very fortunate, that although my symptoms became very severe I was able to make it to retirement. Some of the things that turned out to be very helpful were the documentation, specifically of the medications I had tried and the frequency and severity of the headaches. The fact that treatment was ongoing was important, as well as the documentation that one of my last neurologists had me keep which was a headache log. I wish you well, mostly that you would find some effective treatment. I have tried every thing I have ever read about or had suggested that did not involve dead cats and grave yards at midnight... and have not had much success yet. blessings, and thank you for your service.

To answer your question. Once you establish that you started to get the migraines in service and they were not present prior to service, you should be service connected. It doesn't matter what causes them. You could be in a war or you could have gotten a concussion playing sports. It just doesn't matter as long as it was established while you are in the service. Not sure how much longer you have to go in the service, but you need to make sure they are well documented in your medical record. Also, you need to continue to seek treatment. Don't give up because they haven't found anything to control them yet.