VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefits Question

teejay53

Question

after my appointment with the ss disability doctor yesterday, i got the impression from them that the va would give a better check each month than ssd and i probably should turn down ssd if i were approved before the va decision.

my husband's doctor faxed a letter to the va in st. paul this past saturday connecting all the dots for his service connected death and as the dav rep shared with me after he read the letter ... no way in hooterville can they turn the claim down. there is not a shadow of doubt his death is service connected.

your imput is appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Why would you turn down SSDI? You can collect both DIC, from VA, and SSDI, from SS.

pr

after my appointment with the ss disability doctor yesterday, i got the impression from them that the va would give a better check each month than ssd and i probably should turn down ssd if i were approved before the va decision.

my husband's doctor faxed a letter to the va in st. paul this past saturday connecting all the dots for his service connected death and as the dav rep shared with me after he read the letter ... no way in hooterville can they turn the claim down. there is not a shadow of doubt his death is service connected.

the doctor i was speaking with hinted that va was a better option than ssd and really did not give me any reasoning as to why other than i could receive tricare (i guess he felt this was better than what is offered by ssd).

are ssd and va benefits the same? will va benefits be eleminated if i receive ssd?

thank you for your imput.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can receive both DIC, from VA, as a widow/widower, for a service connected death and SSDI, from SS. There is no offset. I doubt you can receive SSI and DIC, because SSI is income based and DIC would be more than SSI. You may want to research the difference between SSI and SSDI, because I won't go into it here. Sorry but I feel you need to do some research yourself.

pr

the doctor i was speaking with hinted that va was a better option than ssd and really did not give me any reasoning as to why other than i could receive tricare (i guess he felt this was better than what is offered by ssd).

are ssd and va benefits the same? will va benefits be eleminated if i receive ssd?

thank you for your imput.