VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Stored And Sprayed Okinawa 1960s

Rate this question

mozartplayer

Question

I was stationed at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa 1961-63 and at Howard Air Base, Canal Zone summer 1963. Agent Orange is believed to have been stored and sprayed during that time both Okinawa and the Canal Zone. I believe I was possibly exposed to AO both places and was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer in 2005 and have since been diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia, both diseases the VA now considers to be associated with exposure to Agent Orange. The VA Board of Appeals in a 1998 decision approved compensation benefits for a former U.S. Marine on the basis of developing prostate cancer allegedly caused by his exposure to Agent Orange while stationed Okinawa 1961-1962. I filed a VA claim for compensation August 2009,but it is still pending. I wonder how many other veterans were exposed to Agent Orange while stationed Okinawa or Canal Zone during the early 1960s?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Vets have succeeded in AO Thailand claims (over a dozen so far), AO in Guam, AO in CONUS, and even one in Alaska.

I dont know if AO was used prior to 1962 anywhere but if you can prove you were exposed to it in Okinawa, then there is good basis for your claim.

I know a few of the above vets-they did A LOT of leg work and research to prove their exposure to AO.

Vets have succeeded in AO Thailand claims (over a dozen so far), AO in Guam, AO in CONUS, and even one in Alaska.

I dont know if AO was used prior to 1962 anywhere but if you can prove you were exposed to it in Okinawa, then there is good basis for your claim.

I know a few of the above vets-they did A LOT of leg work and research to prove their exposure to AO.

I am working with a veteran who was in Japan during 1961-1962, we have worked his claim and found the ships log from the Otis Bland that states that Agent orange or could be purple was taken off the ship and stored at Japan, I need a statement from a veteran who can verify this information. Please call me 320-564-3134 if you can help.

I was stationed at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa 1961-63 and at Howard Air Base, Canal Zone summer 1963. Agent Orange is believed to have been stored and sprayed during that time both Okinawa and the Canal Zone. I believe I was possibly exposed to AO both places and was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer in 2005 and have since been diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia, both diseases the VA now considers to be associated with exposure to Agent Orange. The VA Board of Appeals in a 1998 decision approved compensation benefits for a former U.S. Marine on the basis of developing prostate cancer allegedly caused by his exposure to Agent Orange while stationed Okinawa 1961-1962. I filed a VA claim for compensation August 2009,but it is still pending. I wonder how many other veterans were exposed to Agent Orange while stationed Okinawa or Canal Zone during the early 1960s?

Please email me as i have information that could help your claim- michelle,gatz@co.ym.mn.gov

Here is the AO Okinawa award:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp98/files1/9800877.txt

All of the BVA decisions that have granted AO outside of Vietnam consider not only the veteran's MOS (which I feel should often be explained in detail to the VA ) but also clear evidence and credible information regarding exposure issues that would warrant Benefit of Doubt.

This Okinawa case is a very good read-showing how persuasive and compelling evidence plus common sense would warrant the proper grant of this claim.

These claims often take a lot of leg work and that work pays off for many.