VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pre Surgical With Dad

Rate this topic

It was a long day today. Dad is 87, getting senile, and going to have cataracts removed. We left at 9 AM for a 1 PM appointment in Anchorage, got there in plenty of time to stop for a bite before we arrived for the first appointment. They said it was for an anestesiology consult. We showed, we met a nice man who taught me a new term - 'Tabla Raza' which he thought was Latin for clean slate. This came up because Dad had never had surgery before and so was a 'tabla raza'. Little did he know...

Anyway, we talked, said thank you, and walked out. We had almost two hours until we saw the eye doctor, and actually thought we could move the appointment up and get out of town early.

Little did I know that he needed an ekg and blood and urine taken. I felt like such a dupe for not thinking of those things. At the last minute, the lady at reception happened to ask us if we had this work done. I said "No - nobody told us to have that done!" I realized we almost got caught in the wheels of a broken gear box and it would have screwed up his surgery, and a 300 mile round trip day with an old man who does not want to go out of his home town.

We ended up getting everything taken care of, along with a last minute dash to the VA pharmacy at 3 minutes until 5PM closing. I left Dad in the car cause he doesn't move as fast as me, and I was able to get his meds with the help of some very nice folks there.

I walk out of the VA arms full of drugs and victory in my heart and I walk towards my car where I left Dad.

Well, as I get closer I see that the lights are on but nobody is home - My car was sitting there with the lights on, and no Dad! Not only that, I was able to pull the door open to find that my keys were gone, and my bag, which I left in his safe keeping, was sitting there in the back seat all by itself...and all I could think was "Oh goodie - the thieves would have had to look UNDER my scarf to find my big Nikon camera..." let alone where the Hell My dad had gone off to.

Thank goodness for sensible thought processes, cause then I ping ponged to - "He had to pee, and went to find a bathroom..." and sure enough just when I start to have panic ridden thoughts, there he comes out of another door in another building with my keys in his hand, telling me he knew he shouldn't leave the keys in the car...

Did I tell you I love my Dad? :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

akwidow,

Bless you for taking such good care of your father.

I know it's not always easy to care for a loved one once senility sets in. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job!

Thanks - I just wanted to share a memorable experience.

My mother is also going senile, but her affect is snarling, distrust and disbelief...it is such a contrast with Dad's symptoms and behavior that it takes my breath away. Where I can spend a pleasant day with Dad and only be tired at the end, a few moments with Mom and I feel like I am spiraling down a whirlpool of darkness with no hope of finding my way out.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a little Beagle dog when I was a kid, got him when I was, like, 11 years old. I loved that dog, used to take him rabbit hunting, etc. Well, I grew up, and left the dog for my folks to care for (I had no place for a dog in my life at the time).

So, my Dad cared for the old dog until he had to be put down due to cancer. Dad was the one that wound up holding the dog's head in his lap as he passed into the forever sleep.

I did not realize HOW much my Dad loved that dang dog. Not until, as my Dad became more and more afflicted with Alzheimers, and I am driving him to one of his doctors appointments. We passed a corner and Dad said "Son, just look, there is old Sam. We better stop and pick him up, he can ride right here, in my lap......."

I had to tell Dad that old Sam wasn't on that street corner, anymore, and that he and Sam would be taking walks together, again, soon, and that Sam would be so happy to have my Daddy's lap to lay in, again.

I'm 63 years old, and I'm crying like a baby.

I hope, when I get where my Daddy was, on that date in time, that that is when my G-d sees fit to take ME home...........remembering old Sam in my lap, sleeping.

We have to love each other, and do for each other, and hold each other in our hearts, otherwise what's all this all about, anyway?

• HadIt.com Elder
It was a long day today. Dad is 87, getting senile, and going to have cataracts removed. We left at 9 AM for a 1 PM appointment in Anchorage, got there in plenty of time to stop for a bite before we arrived for the first appointment. They said it was for an anestesiology consult. We showed, we met a nice man who taught me a new term - 'Tabla Raza' which he thought was Latin for clean slate. This came up because Dad had never had surgery before and so was a 'tabla raza'. Little did he know...

Anyway, we talked, said thank you, and walked out. We had almost two hours until we saw the eye doctor, and actually thought we could move the appointment up and get out of town early.

Little did I know that he needed an ekg and blood and urine taken. I felt like such a dupe for not thinking of those things. At the last minute, the lady at reception happened to ask us if we had this work done. I said "No - nobody told us to have that done!" I realized we almost got caught in the wheels of a broken gear box and it would have screwed up his surgery, and a 300 mile round trip day with an old man who does not want to go out of his home town.

We ended up getting everything taken care of, along with a last minute dash to the VA pharmacy at 3 minutes until 5PM closing. I left Dad in the car cause he doesn't move as fast as me, and I was able to get his meds with the help of some very nice folks there.

I walk out of the VA arms full of drugs and victory in my heart and I walk towards my car where I left Dad.

Well, as I get closer I see that the lights are on but nobody is home - My car was sitting there with the lights on, and no Dad! Not only that, I was able to pull the door open to find that my keys were gone, and my bag, which I left in his safe keeping, was sitting there in the back seat all by itself...and all I could think was "Oh goodie - the thieves would have had to look UNDER my scarf to find my big Nikon camera..." let alone where the Hell My dad had gone off to.

Thank goodness for sensible thought processes, cause then I ping ponged to - "He had to pee, and went to find a bathroom..." and sure enough just when I start to have panic ridden thoughts, there he comes out of another door in another building with my keys in his hand, telling me he knew he shouldn't leave the keys in the car...

Did I tell you I love my Dad? :)

Thanks for sharing, akwidow & Larry J...

I try to appreciate my loved ones, each day, to the fullest.

Edited by Commander Bob