VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are There Assumptives For Ptsd

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I remember reading somewhere that there were certain duties that were sort of assumptive for PTSD, like being a combat medic in a unit that saw casualties, being assigned to a burn unit, and being a member of a NOK notification detail.

Is that true? My ex husband was a medic in RVN (he definitely displayed symptoms during our marriage - if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have handled things differently). My DH was both in the burn unit (from his accident) and on a NOK notification detail - he NEVER talks about it. The burn unit, yeah, he talks about that a lot, but the NOK... never. Just once years ago, he told me he'd done it, that it broke his heart.

Just wondering.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Army medics get the CMB if they meet the requirements. The only army soldiers that receive the CIB are infantry soldiers (mos 11B),(I think a few special forces soldiers also receive it- in Iraq army soldiers training Iraq soldiers can get it regardless of what their mos is- not fair but that the new army). The rules say that for infantry to receive the CIB you have to be in direct face to face combat with the enemy. You can't get the CIB if say you are on one side of a perimeter that is not attacked while the other side of the perimeter is attacked with you looking in the face of the enemy then the attacked side would get the CIB & the other side would not. My experience with medics is they have to actually treat someone that has a serious combat wound received under rifle fire or such to receive the CMB. If you are on patrol & someone trips over a log gets a sprained ankle & you treat him, no award is given. You have to pretty much be ducking bullets to receive. Now to add to that, medics pretty much only stay assigned to a infantry unit for maybe 2 months. Medics rotate between the hospital, base camp aid station, clinics, field aid stations & infantry units. Then consider that when a certain rank is reached, they become supervisors & do not go to the field. Also consider that within around 2 months assigned to a infantry unit, a medic may have R & R time, could be sick, would probable have a stand down time of 7 to 10 days (this is in base camp resting) could be on a quick reaction platoon not called into service & could not see any direct combat action while in the field. So a medic could be in the field & never see the action required to receive the CMB. Marine infantry receive the CAR, not sure what their medics receive. With the awards you named, you still have to provide a stressors with proof. Having a CIB does not indcate that you had a stressor. A CIB can be given for a fire fight, but if no one on either side was hurt & the enemy pulled back & broke contact. I don't think that would be a ptsd stressor. A doctor still has to say you have ptsd from a tramatic event. Certain Purple Heart are good for ptsd & some not so good. All stressors are verified in one way or another. PH is the best if the award is very detailed

"Medics" with Marines are actually US Navy "Corpsman"(not called medics). Navy and Marines can be awarded the CAR-Combat Action Ribbon, regardless of MOS. If you are a cook, truck driver, engineer, supply, corpsman, mechanic, or any MOS....If you are in a firefight with the enemy, you earned it. *Most all Marines hold their Navy Corpsman in very high regards.

Edited by vmo

I'm not sure about this but does the Army issue the CIB to combat medics, I mean the Medics that are with the infantry units themselves?? A Navy Corpsman who receives the Fleet Marine Force Badge and is attached to Marine infantry units in combat is presumtive as is the Army CIB and the Marine Corps CAR. PTSD is considered presumptive and stressors are not verified if the service member has either of these awards or a purple heart, Bronze Star, Silver Star, Navy Cross or MOH. Hope this helps.

The VA also considers the Army Commendation Medal when it has a "V" device attached.

DakToII

vmo, you are correct sorry. I was speaking in general terms. They are navy corpsman assigned to the Marines. All marines are trained in infantry tatics where in the army, only the infantry are trained in infantry tatics. Well thats not true also, cav soldiers, strkyer, the apc soldiers, I am sure there are others also. Any marine can receive the car except maybe the corpsman who would receive the CMB

"Medics" with Marines are actually US Navy "Corpsman"(not called medics). Navy and Marines can be awarded the CAR-Combat Action Ribbon, regardless of MOS. If you are a cook, truck driver, engineer, supply, corpsman, mechanic, or any MOS....If you are in a firefight with the enemy, you earned it. *Most all Marines hold their Navy Corpsman in very high regards.

Navy Field CORPSMAN ARE THE VERY BEST AND BRIGHTEST..... not like the slow slugs in the hospital...

Field Corpsman work as hard or harder than any one and are great to know....... At our BN. reunion they are

treated like the best of the best, they usually pay for nothing at the reunion, the guys foot the bill out of their pockets, and

as such total and complete respect, and thanks is shown.....several died while doing thier job.... trying to keep us alive....

• HadIt.com Elder

If, in a firefight, you were in fear for your life it would qualify as a stressor. Also, what may be a stressor for one may not for another. As to your perimeter description, wouldn't it depend on the size of the perimeter?? Let's say a division size base camp perimeter compared to a platoon sized perimeter?? To quote LJ "just sayin"

pr

Army medics get the CMB if they meet the requirements. The only army soldiers that receive the CIB are infantry soldiers (mos 11B),(I think a few special forces soldiers also receive it- in Iraq army soldiers training Iraq soldiers can get it regardless of what their mos is- not fair but that the new army). The rules say that for infantry to receive the CIB you have to be in direct face to face combat with the enemy. You can't get the CIB if say you are on one side of a perimeter that is not attacked while the other side of the perimeter is attacked with you looking in the face of the enemy then the attacked side would get the CIB & the other side would not. My experience with medics is they have to actually treat someone that has a serious combat wound received under rifle fire or such to receive the CMB. If you are on patrol & someone trips over a log gets a sprained ankle & you treat him, no award is given. You have to pretty much be ducking bullets to receive. Now to add to that, medics pretty much only stay assigned to a infantry unit for maybe 2 months. Medics rotate between the hospital, base camp aid station, clinics, field aid stations & infantry units. Then consider that when a certain rank is reached, they become supervisors & do not go to the field. Also consider that within around 2 months assigned to a infantry unit, a medic may have R & R time, could be sick, would probable have a stand down time of 7 to 10 days (this is in base camp resting) could be on a quick reaction platoon not called into service & could not see any direct combat action while in the field. So a medic could be in the field & never see the action required to receive the CMB. Marine infantry receive the CAR, not sure what their medics receive. With the awards you named, you still have to provide a stressors with proof. Having a CIB does not indcate that you had a stressor. A CIB can be given for a fire fight, but if no one on either side was hurt & the enemy pulled back & broke contact. I don't think that would be a ptsd stressor. A doctor still has to say you have ptsd from a tramatic event. Certain Purple Heart are good for ptsd & some not so good. All stressors are verified in one way or another. PH is the best if the award is very detailed