VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ss Survivor Benefits & Dic

teejay53

Question

I thank you all for your advice. I would like to share this with all.

I was finally found disabled for Social Security Survivor benefits on March 18th, 2010 and am waiting on the DIC decision for my husbands passing from a service related disease.

It took from october 8, 2009 til March 18th, 2010 to get one of the decisions.

Lord answers prayers.

:lol:

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A widow or widower can receive DIC of they also receive SSA retirement or SSA disability.

A widower or widower who receives SSI however will have that amount impacted on if they receive either DIC or any VA death pension.

thank you for your help. i think i know the correct question to ask now?

* i filed in oct 2009 for disability and ssdi and my hubby passed in oct 2009 as well.

* i was found disabled by social security this month and ss survivor checks to start in may 2010.

i have the following question.

* if i am found to not qualify for ssdi on the end of the line phone call from the ss agent, will i still begin my ss survivor checks in may or because i do not qualify for ssdi also make me not qualify for the ss survivor monthly check?

i am very happy to receive your imput on this.

have a blessed day.

:)

The SSA site:

http://www.ssa.gov/

separates and explains the disability type of benefits from their survivors benefits.

I get survivors benefits but my reply to this became so convoluted that maybe it is best to check their site-as age can be a factor for survivor's SSA benefits.

They also have a Contact Us form for questions.

My neighbor-widow of a veteran- was getting SSA disability but then it was transferred to her as SSA retirement benefits when she turned 62 I believe.I think it was the same amount