VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Twisting Truth In Treatment

Rate this topic

I hope this is posted in the right category....I am sooo very mad at the VA right now.....I had requested and recieved a mental health consult...My primary Care Physician put in notes that I had symptoms of PTSD..I requested the consult based on these symptoms, severe depression and suicidial thoughts and insomnia...I went to my therapist appt. where I admitted that I had used Marijuana for pain and to help me sleep..She has me seeing a Psych through Telemed.........Yesterday I get a letter from VA stating that they need me to sign the form so that they can try to recover the costs from my insurance....Said they were treating me for Drug Addiction and Alcohol Abuse.....Yes, I smoked pot..Haven't in nearly 6 months and don't want to (it actually worked better than the meds they give me with less side effects)...But I drink less than a 6 pack in a years time.......I think that they are just doing this so that they can have an excuse not to rate me and use addiction as a cause for my problems....Any clues on how to deal with this...Should I talk to my service rep????? Is this just another one of there tactics hoping I will give up and go away .......Thanks,Grid

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

NEVER EVER ADMIT to USING ILLEGAL DRUGS to the VA! PERIOD!

IMHO....you kinda screwed yourself with that comment!

Others will chime in, I'm sure!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Bravo6 100%. If it's documented in your service records that you were busted for smoking pot or boozing while driving, you can't do anything about it. There is a big difference between sipping the communion wine, a single glass of fine wine with a gourmet dinner, in comparison to over indulging. Additionally, if you are taking any meds that explicitly say to avoid alcohol, you better heed the warning. It is there for a good reason, not about what's ethically accepted, but you are placing your health or life on the line if you ignore it.

I went to my therapist appt. where I admitted that I had used Marijuana for pain and to help me sleep..She has me seeing a Psych through Telemed.........Yesterday I get a letter from VA stating that they need me to sign the form so that they can try to recover the costs from my insurance....Said they were treating me for Drug Addiction and Alcohol Abuse.....Yes, I smoked pot..Haven't in nearly 6 months and don't want to (it actually worked better than the meds they give me with less side effects)...But I drink less than a 6 pack in a years Thanks,Grid

Grid,

I'd go see that therapist ASAP and ask if they referred me

to Substance Abuse Treatment Program (SATP)and if so - WHY ? ?

Unless your talking about a Pain Management Program/Clinic,

VA won't usually bother to hassel someone with THC in their blood.

Been there - done it - and many, many other veterans I know.

Now if you've got coke,crack, heroin etc... in your blood work

then you need to clean yourself up - but that does not appear

to be the case in your post.

jmho,

carlie