VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Diagnosis For Major Depressvie Disorder

Rate this question

Brother Gate

Question

I am currently rated at 60%. I was seeking increase for my anxiety disorder which is 40% and 20% for diabetes. At my c&p exam Saturday, I was diagnosed with MDD. I am thinking this is a good thing for my increase. Is MDD a increase in the severity of anxiety or because it is a new diagnosis, will it end up in a seperate category for disability? Also your thoughts on the likelyhood of an increase?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Any and all psychiatric disorders are taken as a whole, when being rated, and the psychiatric disorder that is most disabling is the one that your percentage of disability will be determined from.

In other words, if your anxiety disorder is now at 40% and you are diagnosed with MDD at (and it will be, most likely) either 50% r 70% (no 60%), then you will have a disability rating of either 50% or 70% in addition to whatever other disability that you may have (for you, it'd be the diabetes).

If you know what your GAF score is, I can tell you purty close to what your MDD will be rated.....................purty close!

Any and all psychiatric disorders are taken as a whole, when being rated, and the psychiatric disorder that is most disabling is the one that your percentage of disability will be determined from.

In other words, if your anxiety disorder is now at 40% and you are diagnosed with MDD at (and it will be, most likely) either 50% r 70% (no 60%), then you will have a disability rating of either 50% or 70% in addition to whatever other disability that you may have (for you, it'd be the diabetes).

If you know what your GAF score is, I can tell you purty close to what your MDD will be rated.....................purty close!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

GAF scores ////// when I think of GAF scores I think of sugar and spice...

peolpe with a GAF of 55 I have seen get 70% people with a GAF of 40% I seen get 30% rating

GAF scores by us vets and the VARO are just a guideline with good results for those with a 55GAF that get rated at 70%

and bad news for the vet that has a 40 GAF and is rated at 30% potluck, DRAWN OUT OF A HAT... rating

but that is just me

• HadIt.com Elder
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

GAF scores ////// when I think of GAF scores I think of sugar and spice...

peolpe with a GAF of 55 I have seen get 70% people with a GAF of 40% I seen get 30% rating

GAF scores by us vets and the VARO are just a guideline with good results for those with a 55GAF that get rated at 70%

and bad news for the vet that has a 40 GAF and is rated at 30% potluck, DRAWN OUT OF A HAT... rating

but that is just me

Like I said:

.....................purty close!

just sayin'

• HadIt.com Elder

Brother, I hope the best for you. Its possible that if you have additional descriptions from your comp exam that a good guess can happen here. I hope you are getting treatment, because then you'll have another diagnosis to back your increase request.

My experience, GAF is a part of the picture, but will need supportive statements that fit the rating bill for the increase.

Are you working or getting other VA assistance? Do you have a VSO? Let us know how it goes after you get your comp exam report.

Sorry you have this condition and good for you for asking for help.

Best to ya,

Cg

I am currently rated at 60%. I was seeking increase for my anxiety disorder which is 40% and 20% for diabetes. At my c&p exam Saturday, I was diagnosed with MDD. I am thinking this is a good thing for my increase. Is MDD a increase in the severity of anxiety or because it is a new diagnosis, will it end up in a seperate category for disability? Also your thoughts on the likelyhood of an increase?

I have not worked since 2 years ago. I am being treated with meds trazadone and setraline for the anxiety and depression. My last GAF is 55. I have been hospitalize for a condition I have called aldosteronism where I have chronic low potassium and I take meds for that.