VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Legal?

Rate this topic

yes since the VA is a closed system they can allow their employees Docs and NP to write prescriptions to the VA pharmacies but what if the VA doesn't have the meds you need and you are willing to take a prescription to Wal Mart to have it filled these docs with the expired drug licenses can't even write those, I have had a VA doc write me a scrip for Plavix so I could take it to Wal Mart he thought it was in generics and the VA rules stop it after 12 months of your cardiac incident that allows them to write it in the first place

they use the excuse to stop it after 12 months that you get the same benefit from an aspirin a day and that Plavix is 140 a month and they can't get it on a low bid contract so the VA stops it as soon as they can but it is not in generic form yet so I am glad my doc still has his state license but the VA hires people that other hospital and medical centers won't.

Look at it from the doctors point of view they don't have to carry malpractice insurance, pay for a nurse and other office people to run a practice, none of the billing headaches, I am seeing a lot of docs close their own offices and return to the VA they like the regular paychecks and holidays and none of the headaches of running their own office......

there are some good ones the bad side is there are a lot of bad ones also....

Apparently I am getting the Va Shaft By Getting All of the But Kissers for Docs. Its a shame too because I am not the only one suffering for their decisions and actions. Its my kids also for having to miss their father participating in big parts of their life. Its my job to protect and teach them but with the limitations that this has caused me it has really impeded the protection aspect of my family and my ability to go out and interact with my children for the teaching side of that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another tip which might help...

My VAMC has the PCP clinics broken down into several different groups. For about 13 years, I was always stuck with the residents who were very inexperienced and blindly follow orders without much regard for patients who are legitimately in pain. I constantly had problems with them and my Patient Advocate was able to get me switched over to a full-time Staff Physician who has 20+ yrs experience. This doc knows me and knows how to treat my problems. You might want to look into this, but I don't know how your VAMC is setup.

I will give it a try. Thanks

sledge,

I'm not saying that's all it takes - it's just another small piece of ammunition at our disposal.

carlie

The Patients Rights also say that I have the right to be a active part in the decisions of my treatment. All statements in those rights are just posted for image purposes only!

The Patients Rights also say that I have the right to be a active part in the decisions of my treatment. All statements in those rights are just posted for image purposes only!

Thanks. It takes a lot of little things to make any big plan come together.

While in the recovery stage of cervical spine surgery I got to try a lot of different painkillers starting in June, 2006. (Private Sector) 3 different surgeries to date.

The final result, my preference, Oxycodone.

But the VA refused to prescribe anything.

Rather than fight City Hall I stayed with the outside doctors.

Then.

After private sector carpal tunnel releases the VA said no painkillers.

Private sector ankle joint cleanout, no VA meds.

Private sector foot fusion, nothing from the VA.

At the VA, artery cleanout, Anything that I asked for except for a bandage change.

The critical care ward didn't have enough budget to change dressings everyday.

But hey, any painkiller I ever heard of.

I was dripping blood all over myself but I got plenty of painkillers.

After leaving the VAMC, nothing.

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder

Sledge, that story about the bandage changes reminds me of the time (back when I was still young) when the corpsman didn't have any morphine and this "kid" needed some really badly..............so, I :cool: asked around in the platoon and came up with ALL SORTS of painkillers...... :unsure: .....including morphine.......heck, we had enough painkillers to go around..... :unsure: ......just none provided by the Navy and none with any kind of "official" documentation.

But, it worked, and it was ALL "name brand" stuff (this was BEFORE "generic" dope came about)!