VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reps Problem

Berta

Question

The check is in the mail.

If I had not been aware of this benefit(my former reps didn't have a clue as to what it was - although it is part of every DIC app)-for those widows or widowers who meet the criteria-

and if I had not raised some Hell yesterday-with the VA -I could have lost this benefit and the retro cash!

The regs were on my side -that is all I needed.

Actually the problem started when they lost my app twice but I am used to that-and the VA approved this in January but some dope tried to tell me I had been denied.

His VA supervisor was just wonderful and knew right away that I should have gotten this benefit months ago.And he saw to it that I will get an award letter and the money.

Another case of the VA having all of the evidence they needed ,and approved this, yet managed to stall payment of what is mine.

Guess they hoped I would drop dead.

We all have to stay as healthy as we can to spite them!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Thanks everyone- it has been 2 decades ( to include my husbands VA travails when he was alive)of dealing with the VA- and this all below was generated by claim I filed in Feb 2003, Awarded by BVA April 2009, and the cash only started to arrive last month-

This is what I was awarded:

1.Burial Benefits -funeral expense refund received

2.New Chapter 35 delimiting date for me (They sent the new Cert of Entitlement already) and I assume for my daughter.Need to prepare letter for her.

3.Chapter 35 partial refund received so far of 4 years of college.They are figuring out the balance due me.

4.Refund of FTCA offset- 9 or 10 years of DIC that was offset by my FTCA case- I received this retro last month.

(The Award of direct SC death altered the offset and trumped the malpractice 1151 DIC.)

5.Home Guarantee Cert-need to apply-fully eligible now

6. REPS Restored Entitlement Program award.in the mail.

( about 2 years of SSA Survivors benefits )

7. I think comp for last month of vet's death -but have to check that reg and apply for it.Havent yet.

8. Still pending - SMC CUE under 1151 and I am questioning again the lack of SMC consideration in the new award decision.I might have to file claim for Equitable Relief with Sec Shenseki on this one.

The retroactive SMC under 1151 CUE and/or direct SC death due to AO is still open. The problem is-

if the VA misdiagnoses a SC condition, and they dont code it with a DC code because they didn't diagnosie it until after the veteran died from VA malpractice-

VA's position- so far-in their most recent decision -

is that they don't have to consider and award SMC as an accrued benefit based on the documented SC disabilities.

The accrued nature of this award is established so they gave me no BS on that.

They just don't want to pay any money for documented 1151 and now direct SC disabilities-eligible for a SMC award- because they have no diagnostic code for them.Solely due to the malpractice.

But the medical evidence in the file prior to Rod's death warranted the proper coding.

With this as the only pendng issue they can argue on-(SMC) I can fully concentrate on my response to this without all the above issues to deal with too.

It has been a year this month since my BVA award.Every single thing above (expect for the funeral expense

refund has been an additional battle to get the money during that year.Most of it generated only last month.

I have received so far 4 awards letters because I kept telling them to CUE themselves on each award letter and they did-

I will request they do that again on this one and also file Equitable Relief claim with the Sec.

Per NVLSP there was never a claim like mine before.

Death due to AO as well as malpractice of the AO conditons to the point of causing death by VA.

I really don't believe this was the first time this has ever happened.

But no other claimant has challenged them this way before.

It is ironic that the new IHD regs came when they did as those regs too would have warranted an award in my case.

--------------------------

Tssnave asked

"Have the VSOs who did you wrong been brought to justice?"

I am extremely happy with the results of my OGC complaint.

The 2 main Reps who buggered my claim will never handle claims again.

The state director was replaced as well but I dont know why.

Their trainng director is also gone-don't know why-

That too was a long frustrating ordeal. They have a better crew of reps now locally.

Edited by Berta

Berta,

Thanks for the update on all your claims and VSO situation.

I admire your tenacity in dealing with the VA and am glad you are now on the downside and receiving the money and benefits that are rightfully yours and your daughter's. While it is small compensation for their lack of appropriate care to Rod, many others have benefited from your trials.

Take care,

TS

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

OMG Berta, Whatever you take to keep your mind focused and ready for constant battle, I want some of that LOL! The utter and complete tenacity of your claims follow-up is beyond words. You just never give up. One hand grenade after the next, over and over and over! Congratulations, you are an amazing warrior. HUGS!! ~Wings

Berta,

I know Rod would feel just great in knowing the years of

work and dedication is finally being recognized with proper

compensation.

You are the ultimate as an example, of showing what due diligence is all about.

carlie

yupper, I would gladly brush shoulders with you Berta - and suck up all those brains by osmosis! Hero worship here~

Guest terrysturgis

Berta, my daughter and family are moving to Fort Drum New York. They will be living in the town of Chaumont by the Fort. I am helping them move and we will be there in about two weeks. My family would like to meet the Lady that helped me get 100% P&T.

If you would, send me a PM or call my cell at 269-509-6439. Look forward to hearing from you. Terry