VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Phantom Debt

Rate this question

nsallies

Question

The Va wanted a statement of dependants, I sent it in. They replied saying I never took my 1st wife off and have been over paying me for 8 years. I faxed the VA in Ca the divorce papers back in 2001 with a request to remove my ex. Of course this being 9 years later I dont have the proof. After faxing the next month my compensation didnt change that much so I called..they said she was removed that I just got a cost of living raise (DEC) so I didnt think about it again til I got the Debt letter. What can I do? I agreed to pay them @129 a month for like 6 years just to keep them from yanking my total check for like 7 months but can I appeal it or something? This really isnt my fault, they just didnt enter it in the system.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes the answer is not what we want to hear.

If you can show that paying back the money would create a hardship sometimes the VA will forgive the debt. Never hurts to ask.

I started receiving benefits in July 2000 and had no Idea of what the VA was about or how things worked, I figured that they were like PSD in the Navy and very efficient. I sent letter to remove wife in 01 and havent had anything to do with the VA until Aug 08, my comp check came every month and I had no worries. I didnt even know we could get COLA much less how much it would be. I am slowly learning the VA admin is NOT as efficient as PSD.

I TOTALLY agree with Philip Rogers! It's his fault and he can't blame no one but himself! With that being said, I would pay back the money and chalk it up as a lesson learn.

B6

• HadIt.com Elder

nsallies - you should check your c-file and see if that letter is there and, if so, it would be the VA's fault and you could probably get a waiver.

pr

I started receiving benefits in July 2000 and had no Idea of what the VA was about or how things worked, I figured that they were like PSD in the Navy and very efficient. I sent letter to remove wife in 01 and havent had anything to do with the VA until Aug 08, my comp check came every month and I had no worries. I didnt even know we could get COLA much less how much it would be. I am slowly learning the VA admin is NOT as efficient as PSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

and, this conversation goes directly to the fine point of:

DO NOT EVER ASSUME. NEVER ASSUME, that the VA is doing what you asked them to do. NOR, ever assume that "they got the message".

Heck, I just watched the great big "shredder truck" as it ground away at container after container of paperwork at the Dallas VA Medical Center loading dock, yesterday.

Your paperwork was probably in the second container....................the one that they ground up into paper mache' at 0855 yesterday morning!

KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING!