VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Phantom Debt

Rate this question

nsallies

Question

The Va wanted a statement of dependants, I sent it in. They replied saying I never took my 1st wife off and have been over paying me for 8 years. I faxed the VA in Ca the divorce papers back in 2001 with a request to remove my ex. Of course this being 9 years later I dont have the proof. After faxing the next month my compensation didnt change that much so I called..they said she was removed that I just got a cost of living raise (DEC) so I didnt think about it again til I got the Debt letter. What can I do? I agreed to pay them @129 a month for like 6 years just to keep them from yanking my total check for like 7 months but can I appeal it or something? This really isnt my fault, they just didnt enter it in the system.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

After giving up on this for months I stumbled across a rubbermade container that I had. Inside was the complete fax transmital sheet and #s where I had faxed my divorce papers from Pak Mail in Cerritos California to VARO Los Angeles way back in 01. I copied and sent this to Henry Whipple Bldng (Dept. Management) and they erased the dept. Im so glad Im a pack rat now!

After giving up on this for months I stumbled across a rubbermade container that I had. Inside was the complete fax transmital sheet and #s where I had faxed my divorce papers from Pak Mail in Cerritos California to VARO Los Angeles way back in 01. I copied and sent this to Henry Whipple Bldng (Dept. Management) and they erased the dept. Im so glad Im a pack rat now!

Good news! It's great news to hear that you found your fax transmittal sheet and got the debt erased.

I was lucky, very lucky. If I could give advise to other Veterans it would be "KEEP ALL PAPERWORK SENT AND RECEIVED WHEN DEALING WITH THE VA" if you dont have the paperwork, it didnt happen or it wasnt done! I emptied out the rubbermade container and now it is my file for all paperwork dealing with VA issues (in chronological order).

• HadIt.com Elder

Many years ago when I was just a 10% vet the VA began to pay me at the 100% rate. I looked at the check and my name was on it, but I knew it was wrong. I called the VA and told them they made a mistake. The checks kept coming. I wrote them a letter and told them they were overpaying me. The checks kept coming. Finally, I just deposited the checks into a savings account as they came in the mail (1975). One month I started getting the 10% amount again. Nothing was ever said about the 100% checks. I did officially owe them about 200 bucks once and they hounded me for it. It was an overpayment for G.I. Bill. I got it forgiven by bringing in my congressman Sam Gibbons who had been an airborne ranger in WWII.

Many many years ago when I was out of work, no VA Claims, no GI Bills, etc. So one day out of the blue, I get a check for $10,000.00. Yes, it was tempting to cash it, as I really needed the money. I did wait for about 3 weeks, and nothing from the VA as to why the check. So, I went to the local VA office, and talked to a VA Rep. Now, hear is what it advised, "you need to cash the check and turn the cash in to him". I did not know whether to slap this dodo or what. I took the check into the head person's office and reported him. Made a copy of the check after VOID was written across it, and got a VA letter head receipt. Still have the paperwork. You can only trust the VA as far as you can through a 500 pound Mother-in-Law.

Papa