VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao Ischemic Heart Disease

Rate this question

chr49

Question

First some background; I don't have my VAMC medical records yet but I have private medical records that diagnose me with Aortic Atherosclerosis. I've had several cardio-vascular tests done thru the VA in the past 2 years and I'm going to my VAMC in a couple days for my routine labs/office visit.

So here my question; Is it appropriate for me to ask my doc if I have a IHD diagnosis on my file? Do you think they will tell me?

If not, does anybody know if there is any way I can find out the diagnoses I have on file without having to wait for the medical records.

Thanks ahead for any advise you can give me.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Ask for everything. Put emphasis on the heart disease. Ask your private doctor. Take your private medical records with you when you see the cardiologists at DVA if they don't have these records. You don't have to wait for copies, you can go to release of records and get your records for that day. If you don't have many medical records with DVA ask for all your records the day of your visit. It may only take a few minutes and you can walk out with complete copies of your records.

If the cardiologists says yes you have IHD ask him for copies. My pulmonologists gave me copies of all my test today with my diagnosis while we were talking. You have a right to all this info.

First some background; I don't have my VAMC medical records yet but I have private medical records that diagnose me with Aortic Atherosclerosis. I've had several cardio-vascular tests done thru the VA in the past 2 years and I'm going to my VAMC in a couple days for my routine labs/office visit.

So here my question; Is it appropriate for me to ask my doc if I have a IHD diagnosis on my file? Do you think they will tell me?

If not, does anybody know if there is any way I can find out the diagnoses I have on file without having to wait for the medical records.

It is totally alright to ask and yes he should tell you. Remember, your talking about the person who is taking care of your health, so ask. You have every right to ask such questions as well as look at your records yourself. I would also recommend that you write down your concerns/questions and bring them with you, becasuse it is easy to forget some of your concerns.

JMO,

Bergie

Thanks Bergie and Van,

I'm ashamed because my wife has been telling me exactly the things you mention for several years now. She gets so mad when I come home saying I forgot to tell them something important or not asking questions about the things I don't understand. She tells me that I'm stuck in the past, thinking I must be "good" and not complain. She says the doctors are only as good as the information they are given. Tell them nothing and you'll get nothing in return. Guess she's right.

I will see that she types up a list of medical concerns & questions to remind me this time around. Knowing her, she'll make 2 copies, 1 for me and 1 for the doctor.

Thanks again.

An update...

I went for my VAMC appointment today and got all of my questions answered.

Even better yet, I went to the Records Release Dept. to request my medical file (thinking they'd tell me they would send them) and they printed out my entire file while I waited. They also included all of my records from my Outpatient PACS clinic and the other VAMC in their system! It was almost too easy! I have tons of paperwork to review now.

Thanks to all for encouraging to speak up.

An update...

I went for my VAMC appointment today and got all of my questions answered.

Even better yet, I went to the Records Release Dept. to request my medical file (thinking they'd tell me they would send them) and they printed out my entire file while I waited. They also included all of my records from my Outpatient PACS clinic and the other VAMC in their system! It was almost too easy! I have tons of paperwork to review now.

Thanks to all for encouraging to speak up.

chr,

I'm glad you were able to get the care you deserve. It feels alot better when you leave the doctors office and all your questions/concerns are addressed. I'm surprised that you got your records while you waited, at my VAMC they send them to you if it's over 10 pages.

Take care,

Bergie

chr,

I'm glad you were able to get the care you deserve. It feels alot better when you leave the doctors office and all your questions/concerns are addressed. I'm surprised that you got your records while you waited, at my VAMC they send them to you if it's over 10 pages.

Take care,

Bergie

I know...My wife and I were both so surprised when they printed off over 350 pages in less than 10 minutes! The file was still hot off the printer. It was almost too easy. From this point on I will get copies each time I go for an appointment to keep my files up to date.