VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

80% Nevada Vet Seeks Advice

Rate this question

Marlonallgood

Question

I am a 29 year old Las Vegas resident who was honorably discharged from the Army in 2002. I was granted 60% for my back and various 10% for my head,feet,depression. I have been working in an office position for the last 8 years. The pain I experince daily at work I've been able to cope with until the last 1-2 years. I have been experincing severe pain and numbness throughout my legs. I have also gone thru terrible episodes of depression when I am unable to perform certain acts that a healthy 29 year old should be able to perform with ease. It kills me to say it but I feel that I'm reaching the point that I may not be able to work anymore without having to live thru the pain that it causes. I wanted to know what kind of Options I have 100%,TDIU,Social Security,etc. I currently make a decent salary and am unsure if I would be able to support my family if I am unable to work. I am not sure if I gave enough info to get the advice I'm seeking but I would appreciate any and all responses. Thank you.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am a 29 year old Las Vegas resident who was honorably discharged from the Army in 2002. I was granted 60% for my back and various 10% for my head,feet,depression. I have been working in an office position for the last 8 years. The pain I experince daily at work I've been able to cope with until the last 1-2 years. I have been experincing severe pain and numbness throughout my legs. I have also gone thru terrible episodes of depression when I am unable to perform certain acts that a healthy 29 year old should be able to perform with ease. It kills me to say it but I feel that I'm reaching the point that I may not be able to work anymore without having to live thru the pain that it causes. I wanted to know what kind of Options I have 100%,TDIU,Social Security,etc. I currently make a decent salary and am unsure if I would be able to support my family if I am unable to work. I am not sure if I gave enough info to get the advice I'm seeking but I would appreciate any and all responses. Thank you.

Welcome to Hadit

Marlonallgood,

You can contact Social Security and request an "Earning Statement," to see how much you would get for SSDI "Social Security Disability Insurance." Basically it is your retirement pay due to your disabilities and you can claim the same thing as you claimed for VA disability. Just keep in mind to get SSDI and or TDIU, you cannot be working.

Others will chime in

Hope the best

Thanks for the bump and the reply I really appreciate any knowledge that I can get from the vets who post here. Is there a certain amount of time I need to be unemployed to qualify for the TDIU or social security? Would it be best to try to get a rating increase from 80% to 100% before I stop working.

As I said for TDIU and SSDI, you cannot be working at the time you file them. With SSDI I think they hold the first six months to make sure you don't go back to work. But when you contact SSA you can find all this out. I am not sure of your VA disabilities break down of percentages but it is very hard to get 100% schedular but If you could get a doctor to say that you are unemployable due to your service connected disabilities then you would have a better chance of getting the 100% TDIU, they both pay the same. If you can get a doctor to say that your service connected conditions are permanent then you can be awarded 100% TDIU P & T which means your dependents would get champva and chapter 35, which are health care and college tuition. But It might be faster if you could get an increase in your disabilities. If you have a bunch of 10% check the reg to see if they could be increased and go from there. It may take a while but who knows.

Make sure you scroll though hadit and any other sites you can find.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19579

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete992

I pretty much agree but if Doc says you can't work I would go ahead and file. I filed before my 6 months were up and got it in four months.I filed 2 months after my last work day.

Good Luck