VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

80% Nevada Vet Seeks Advice

Rate this question

Marlonallgood

Question

I am a 29 year old Las Vegas resident who was honorably discharged from the Army in 2002. I was granted 60% for my back and various 10% for my head,feet,depression. I have been working in an office position for the last 8 years. The pain I experince daily at work I've been able to cope with until the last 1-2 years. I have been experincing severe pain and numbness throughout my legs. I have also gone thru terrible episodes of depression when I am unable to perform certain acts that a healthy 29 year old should be able to perform with ease. It kills me to say it but I feel that I'm reaching the point that I may not be able to work anymore without having to live thru the pain that it causes. I wanted to know what kind of Options I have 100%,TDIU,Social Security,etc. I currently make a decent salary and am unsure if I would be able to support my family if I am unable to work. I am not sure if I gave enough info to get the advice I'm seeking but I would appreciate any and all responses. Thank you.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup. What Pete and Pete said.

If you DO file for TDIU, MAKE SURE and use the "proper" VA Form! Otherwise you'll just be adding to the landfill.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8940-ARE.pdf

and, also make sure that the SSDI claim and the VA service-connected disabilities "match-up" :)

I contacted my local DAV office and had to leave a message for an officer to get back to me later. Is it a good idea to go this route or should I try to get this done on my own? I have only been to a Dr once since I've been out of the service because I felt that I could deal with my pain myself and didn't want to be looked at as someone who was no longer functional. I'm almost ashamed of even tryin'g to go this route but, I cannot deal with the pain while smiling at work anymore. Would my lack of records since I've been out hurt my chances of TDIU and SSI? To give more info I was rated 60% degenerative disc disease 30 % depression due to low back pain 10 % pes planus 10 % head injury. Thanks again for all replys to my questions It is greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind that SSI (Social Security Income) is not the same as SSDI, SSI is for people who don't have enough time to get SSDI so they are awarded SSI. In most cases if you get 80% VA disability you will not qualify for SSI but that is not SSDI. If your conditions are getting worst it would be best to get them checked out by a doctor. It is also your decision how to proceed with any claim you decide. You have to do what is best for you and your family. Just keep in mind that if you don't go see a doctor then some may think that you don't have disabilities.

As always hope the best and others will chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

Nevada

Something to think about is that you can't be employed full time while you file for IU and SSD. You have to be disabled for at least 6 months before you can even get paid by SSD. With IU you need to be able to say you are not working because of your SC disabilites. It will take some time to get IU. This means you need to be able to survive while you wait. If you can't survive for at least a year without an income from work you need to find funds to tide you over while you wait. Otherwise it becomes very stressful.

• HadIt.com Elder
Would I be able to go thru this process with just my old military records and a new C & P exam or does it look really bad that I havent seen a Dr that often in the last 7 years?

You are most likely going to have to provide an IMO (Independent Medical Opinion) stating that the problem(s) you now have are due to the problem(s) you had in the military (known as a "nexus", connecting the "now" with the "past"). IF, and I say "IF", you can get this with your C&P examination, then more the better! You can certainly ASK the C&P examiner for a "nexus" statement.....................IF, and I say "IF", you feel that the C&P examination is "going your way". Otherwise, a negative "nexus" statement can sink your claim!