VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get A Disability Rating

Rate this question

grtful1

Question

I am sure this has been addressed somewhere, but I could not find it on the board.

I retired about 5 years ago w/close to 22 years active duty (USN), currently 46 years old. I was an Aviation Electronics Tech and worked on A/C. When discharged I received no disability rating. My hearing stinks and is declining and I believe that Aircraft noise is a factor. I also have some issue w/pain in my elbow that was addressed once very early on in my career and has now returned.

What steps do I need to take see if I can get a disability rating? I want to get it right the first time through. I was never a sick bay commando, so my medical file is rather thin and I am not very versed on how I should approach this.

I assume I will have to do one of these "C&P" exams.

Please advise if this post should be somewhere else. Thanks in advance!

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Have you seen a doctor for these conditions regularly since your discharge? Establishing continuity and chronicity are two key factors in getting service connection. Is there a diagnosis for Hearing Loss and an Elbow Condition? Pain in itself is not sufficient enough to grant service connection. If you can show any of these, then you’ll have a good chance of getting service connected—especially with the Hearing Loss issue (the VA is very liberal when it comes to Hearing Loss and Tinnitus), considering your MOS and all (another important factor). Moreover, if you do have a diagnosis for Hearing Loss, ask your doctor if he/she thinks it’s related to your military service. If he/she responds favorably, have him/her annotated in your records, or prepare a statement, and submit to the VA. The VA will also look @ what you did for a living after the military, which could harm your case for Hearing Loss service connection.

Hope this helps.