VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal Old Decision

Rate this topic

The DAV VSO just emailed me about it..I dont have a link but get in touch with your local Veterans Service Officer..

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In light of the new law which gives a veterans own Dr the final opinion over the QTC Doctors can I reopen this claim? " Could you clarify what new law this is?

The VA NEVER service connects personality disorder.

Did the IMO doc formally diagnose you with depression?

Or did he/she continue the SPD diagnosis?

Many vets have overcome a PD diagnosis (which is doomsday to SC) by proving they have PTSD or depression or any other MH issue that is service connectable- if there is a service nexus as well.

Are you employed- and if not have you applied for TDIU?

• HadIt.com Elder

The military used to kick out thousands of vets with MH problems under the personality disorder DX. They have been hammered for this over and over again by vet advocates and congress. If you IMO said you have a PD you should get your money back.

I just want to post a correction in this thread.

The only way that I do know that a PD CAN BE SERVICE CONNECTED

is if it is secondary to a head injury during active duty.

This, I know can be done.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I have seen Veterans who have a PD get service connected but for another diagnosed condition linked to service. In other words you can be service connected for a mood disorder and also have a PD.

Even if you have a PD does not mean that you can't find another way to skin the cat.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have seen Veterans who have a PD get service connected but for another diagnosed condition linked to service. In other words you can be service connected for a mood disorder and also have a PD.

Even if you have a PD does not mean that you can't find another way to skin the cat.

x

x

x

That's right Pete. You need to have a primary diagnosis listed on Axis 1. See below. ~Wings

Mental disorders are diagnosed according to a manual published by the American Psychiatric Association called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV).

A DSM-IV diagnosis has five parts. Each part, called an Axis, gives a different type of information about the diagnosis.

Axis I provides information about clinical disorders. Any mental health conditions, other than personality disorders or mental retardation, would be included here.

Axis II provides information about personality disorders and mental retardation.

Axis III provides information about any medical conditions that are present.

Axis IV is used to describe psychosocial and environmental factors affecting the person.

Axis V is a rating scale called the Global Assessment of Functioning; the GAF goes from 0 to 100 and provides a way to summarize in a single number just how well the person is functioning overall.