VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd With Depressive Symptoms, Anxiety And Insomnia

Rate this question

Sapper

Question

I was rated 50% PTSD almost a year ago. I have since appealed this for an increase, because my symptoms seem worse, and I have found additional proof of traumatic events. In my very first claim, I reported Anxiety and Insomnia also. They denied me all of it, until I sent in my first bit of proof of PTSD. (Sworn Statements from traumatic events) When it came through, it said... post traumatic stress disorder with depressive symptoms, 50 percent. I'm guessing my Anxiety and Insomnia were still denied. I am heading out to the VA next week for my appeal C&P. Do I need to point out specifically to this examiner that I have anxiety and insomnia? Or are they going to give me the run around telling me that those are all balled into the PTSD claim? I stated to him I was having horrible luck sleeping, and have many of the signs of Anxiety. Also, a final question I have, What is the rating scale for Anxiety and Insomnia? I've tried looking on 38 CFR, but it seems as if they use the same scale as PTSD. (Meaning there are all the same symptoms.

Any advice is greatly appricated. I look forward to hearing more on this topic, as I have been reading off of this website for the past few months, and has helped me greatly in stating my claim to the VA.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The way to write this us is that as a result of long standing PTSD you suffer from depression and insomnia. PTSD is an anxiety disorder. These things all go together. If you can't sleep and feel anxious it is easy to get depressed. What you want to show the VA is that your mental health is worse and you need more than 50%. The usuall difference between a 50% rating for PTSD and a 70%-100% rating is your ability to work. If you can't work due to PTSD then you get a higher rating.

• HadIt.com Elder

The key is are you able to work. 50% to 70% is about as far as VA will go if you work.

About the C&P. Its not a job interview dress the way you do at home most of the time. If you don;t leave home much be sure and tell the examiner. Answer the questions like it is when you are home. Don't fret to much since you have already done the heavy lifting by having a 50% rating for PTSD.

Good Luck

I did state in my letter that I am working currently, but only part-time, and that isn't going well at all. I feel as if they're going to fire me any day now. I sent this in a statement, along with my wife's statement noting problems and difficulties working due to stress, insomnia, etc. Also, so I'm guessing insomnia is a different claim than PTSD? Am I correct on this? I'm wondering if I will need to file yet another claim for this.

Hi All,

I'm taking a variety of prescription medications for PTSD (for sleep, depression). My treatments are on a out-patient basis at a local VA Mental health facility for the last six months. At what point do I file a claim for PTSD?

Thank You All for your Service,

rjalexjr

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have some organic disease reason for the insomnia it might be different. If it is a result of anxiety, depression or PTSD it will all be rated under PTSD most likely. On my last MH rating I was rated for about 5 different conditions but it was all under just one DX.