VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd With Depressive Symptoms, Anxiety And Insomnia

Rate this question

Sapper

Question

I was rated 50% PTSD almost a year ago. I have since appealed this for an increase, because my symptoms seem worse, and I have found additional proof of traumatic events. In my very first claim, I reported Anxiety and Insomnia also. They denied me all of it, until I sent in my first bit of proof of PTSD. (Sworn Statements from traumatic events) When it came through, it said... post traumatic stress disorder with depressive symptoms, 50 percent. I'm guessing my Anxiety and Insomnia were still denied. I am heading out to the VA next week for my appeal C&P. Do I need to point out specifically to this examiner that I have anxiety and insomnia? Or are they going to give me the run around telling me that those are all balled into the PTSD claim? I stated to him I was having horrible luck sleeping, and have many of the signs of Anxiety. Also, a final question I have, What is the rating scale for Anxiety and Insomnia? I've tried looking on 38 CFR, but it seems as if they use the same scale as PTSD. (Meaning there are all the same symptoms.

Any advice is greatly appricated. I look forward to hearing more on this topic, as I have been reading off of this website for the past few months, and has helped me greatly in stating my claim to the VA.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I will make a guess that 905 of Veterans with anxiety problems do not sleep like they should either. Last nite I did not sleep till after breakfast this morning. My wife asked me if I was worried about something and I told her the truth. I am always worried about something.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paxil would help with the worry problems. The worrying is part of obsessive/compulsive aspect to anxiety disorder. It has something to do with your levels of seratonin in your brain. I worry all the time as well. I feel like something bad is lurking out there for me. The SSRI drugs help with that but you know the side effects.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi All,

I'm taking a variety of prescription medications for PTSD (for sleep, depression). My treatments are on a out-patient basis at a local VA Mental health facility for the last six months. At what point do I file a claim for PTSD?

Thank You All for your Service,

rjalexjr

uhhhhh? How's about NOW!

Use the "proper" form, which, I'm now convinced, is the VA Form #21-526EZ. Get all your ducks in a row before sending this form in to the Regional Office, making sure to enclose all your PTSD treatment records (get 'em from the VA Medical Center, ROI office), any Service Medical Records or Service Treatment Records, a copy of your DD214, any other documentation that proves you were in a situation that would cause PTSD (were you, in fact, in fear of your life due to enemy or terrorist activity?), photographs that substantiate your PTSD claim, any and all CAR/CAB ribbons, any other awards that would indicate that you were, in fact, where you COULD have been subjected to a PTSD-causing stressor (you do not have to PROVE the "stressor event" anymore, BUT you do have to have been in the right place, at the right time to have been, like I said, in fear of your life or your safety).

(say, I just happened to think about something....................I wonder if being met at the airport in San Diego by a 6'4", 240lb. DRILL INSTRUCTOR and being thrown on the little green bus, could that rise to the level of being in fear for my life.........?)

Edited by LarryJ

uhhhhh? How's about NOW!

Use the "proper" form, which, I'm now convinced, is the VA Form #21-526EZ.

Larry,

His profile shows he is currently 30 percent SC'd, so no 21-526 - he needs to file the claim

request on a 21-4138 or just a piece of paper.

Hi All,

I'm taking a variety of prescription medications for PTSD (for sleep, depression). My treatments are on a out-patient basis at a local VA Mental health facility for the last six months. At what point do I file a claim for PTSD?

Thank You All for your Service,

rjalexjr

RJALEXJR,

Welcome to Hadit.

Please, when you have a question - please pick the Forum that your question would fall under and start your own topic thread.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry,

His profile shows he is currently 30 percent SC'd, so no 21-526 - he needs to file the claim

request on a 21-4138 or just a piece of paper.

No, I have to differ with you on this............the form that I am speaking of is the 21-526"EZ" form, titled "Fully Developed Claim", and, it is, actually, for folks that have already turned in the 21-526 LONNNNG form (how many pages........16 or 26, heck I'd have to look at one.....).

I turned in a 21-526EZ to the Waco Regional Office about three weeks ago..................the veteran has already been scheduled for his C&P for PTSD..........and, he is a veteran that has been receiving service-connected compensation for about 10 years.

BTW, the 21-526EZ is three pages.

Edited by LarryJ