VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao/ihd Claim

Rate this question

Lorraine

Question

Back in Feb. 2010, after my husband had filed his claim for IHD/AO, he received what appeared to be a standard packet from the RO telling him that they had rec'd his claim and general information about what would be done with his claim, etc. However, included in the packet, was information about a new "New Pilot Program! Invitation to Join." This new program is known as Expedited Claims Adjudication(ECA)Initiative. The Seattle VA RO is one of four RO's that was selected nationwide to participate in this two-year pilot program. The VA included about 6 and a half pages of information about the project, including an Agreement and Waiver of Rights to sign.

Our Vietnam Veterans of America Service Officer told us at the time of our initial interview and filing of a claim that if my husband should receive an offer for an expedited claim, to be sure to accept the offer. After reading the 6+ pages of info, we were confused and so I called a couple of the other Vet's service organizations and they were familiar with ECA pilot program and were adamant about NOT recommending that vets sign this waiver! I called our VSO and discussed ECA with him, told him that I'd contacted other service organizations and that they weren't recommending vets sign the waiver. He allowed as how that the Viet Nam Vets and only one other organization were recommending to sign.

We didn't think that sounded like a huge recommendation. So,we got scared off and he didn't sign the waiver. Anybody else out there who has been offered this "INVITATION"????? or anybody familiar with this new program?

Lorraine

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't like the idea of giving up appeal rights. I had AO presumptive condition. I had to appeal the denial of the secondary conditions. If a vet has DMII, for instance, there may be secondary conditions and disagreement on percentages. If you sign the waiver you give up your appeal rights and have to start from scratch if there is disagreement on rating percentage. Knowing how often the VA lowballs vets I would not give up the right to appeal just to shave a few months of the process. Unless you are dying what is the rush. Presumptive claims go pretty quick as it is in my experience. I have five.

I would no more give up my appellate rights than I would cut off my own arm.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and input. Makes me so glad we followed our own 'gut" feelings and didn't agree to the ECA. Our VVA VSO was certainly FOR it and recommended my husband sign it. It was only by calling other VSO's that we made the decision not to sign any waivers! Now I'm a bit worried about HIM representing us on this journey. I'm sure wishing we'd have found this site BEFORE filing the claim!

Lorraine

PS to Berta - I wrote down all of the info you provided about how to make comments about the new Regs. I'm so darn computer illiterate, but will give it a try - AGAIN! Thanks for all of the time and effort you put in on this site - you're a jewel!

• HadIt.com Elder

Many VSO's give you the idea that they are experts. They really are like going to an office and having someone assist in filling out forms. You can change VSO's if you don't have confidence but it probably will not make much difference unless you find a good one which is rare.

We have had a few good ones hang out here on Hadit. The good ones return telephone calls and take the time to explain what is up and why.