VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Vs. Unemployability

Rate this question

Bigdan

Question

SCN_20100415131441_001.pdf I have a letter from the Chief of Mental Health as you can see at the beginning of this post. Do I need to go for Total Unemployability or 100% for PTSD. This part has me confused? I have several other letters that follow this same line of thinking. I am currently rated at 30% for scars because of burns and 70% for PTSD. I am currently awaiting OPM to approve my full Disability from the VA Hospital as an employee. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your input,

BigDan.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dan

You have to apply for SSD when you apply for OPM under FERS. You don't have to get SSD to get OPM, but you have to apply. This is how I did it since I was a federal employee as well. I went out on OWCP. I also applied for OPM and SSD at that time. I applied for TDIU with the VA at the same time. OPM is easy to get because it pays so little. The SSD is harder to get. If you are rated at least 70% from the VA the TDIU should not be so hard to get. I got SSD first. Then I got OPM and TDIU in that order. It takes about 3-4 months to get the OPM approved. SSD is anybody's guess. TDIU is also uncertain. Do you have long term disability insurance?

I would apply for all those things.

John,

I applied for Social Security Disability and they turned me down because I was still working. I wish I had long-term Disability Insurance but never bought any. My Attorney told me that with my case and documentation and files I will be approved for OPM Disability but it takes time - lots of time. Then I can reapply for Social Security Disability. I have used up all of my sick leave (Didn't have much to begin with) and currently still trying to work. Everyone at work has made allowances to me and for me. Waiting another 3 months for an approval might be to much for me (It has been in (OPM Disability) since 22Mar2010). I hope to hear something from my Attorney next week. Maybe I can be done by May - That is what I am hoping for anyway. Thank you for your feedback about how long it takes to process - It gives me an idea for what time to shoot for. Now just coming to work everyday is a task and when I get home I am totally exhausted. Once again thank you,

BigDan