VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had My C&p For Ptsd Yesterday.

Rate this question

GunnyO_Ret_USMC

Question

Ok, had my C&P exam yesterday for my PTSD, it all lasted maybe 20 minutes max. All of the horror stories that I have heard of and about the length of the exam, this was nothing like it. We went into the office and the doctor asked me a series of questions starting with were I was from, how was my childhood, how did I do in school, when did I join the military and did I get into any trouble while I was in, where have I been stationed, my personal life, my drinking habits and if I used any drugs, my combat experience and stressors, if I am receiving any help for my condition, and finally how my personal life is now. He then looked at me and said that's all he needs and that I was done. There was not a checklist that he was going by, I didn't take no computer test like I've heard so much about from many veterans on this forum. I was stressing out about recalling and talking about the experiences but we never even went there. I don't know what to think, WTF.

I have already been diagnosed with PTSD by the VA prior to filing my claim and I am receiving treatment and attending group, could it be that they already have all of the information they need? You can never know what to expect from the VA, it's like they keep you in suspense. So for now I guess it's standby for standby. Has anyone experienced something similar or any thoughts on this?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

gunnyO,

request a copy of your C&P exam in records. You can also request the rest of your records/progress notes to see exactly what they are saying. The examiner was using a list of predetermined questions. He/she may have filled in some of those already or was a non-computer type of examiner, but will later input it into the computer. The c&P results will be a better determination and you can post them on here and people will definitly give you a better idea, what is being said and what to expect.

semper fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of us have no cue how a C&P goes. Your examiner may have given you a good one with and adequate review of your records. Like HEVQ said get a copy of your C&P and than you will know what you are up against.

Good Luck and I hope that you had a nice childhood.

Day of my C&P for PTSD, the receptionist asked "how are you"? I repiled "who knows"! Receptionist said "oh oh"! Meet the Dr. He asked me how I'm doing, I answer "Well if I'm here I can't be doing very well now can I"? "I haven't slept in days worring about this, my wife tells me I'm grumpy and the bill collectors are driving me crazy"!! Spent 20 minutes, talking mostly about my service and actual stressors which caused me to break down crying. Dr. walked me to the door, reached out and shook my hand and thanked me for my service to my country!! Nine months later awarded 70% for PTSD and informed by the board they considered 100% but I didn't meet the criteria so they encouraged me to apply for unemployability for the 100% which I did. Last employer stated my employment was terminated for fight and arguing with management, aggressive behavior and possible mental health issues!! I keep telling the Dr"s the group sessions, the CPT, the one on ones with the shrinks do not work. As Carlie stated in one of her posts some of us can not discuss our stressors like people discuss last weeks news headlines, I am one of those who does not respond to the therapy so I will stay on meds for the rest of my life and hope someone doesn't pi** me off enough that I go postal.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the fact your C&P lasted about 20 minutes is SOP. I bet you get a rating but what that rating may be in anyone's guess.

I think the fact your C&P lasted about 20 minutes is SOP. I bet you get a rating but what that rating may be in anyone's guess.

I really hope so. I guess I just don't get it when some are saying how long their exams took along with a computer test asking all of these weird questions. That's what I guess I was expecting too and it threw me off. Thank you for the insight.

Hi Gunny. Mine only took twenty minutes or so as well, so it does seem to be the standard. Would be curious as to what your GAF score is. It is usually relevant to your examination.

Good Luck

Semper Fi !!