VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had My C&p For Ptsd Yesterday.

Rate this question

GunnyO_Ret_USMC

Question

Ok, had my C&P exam yesterday for my PTSD, it all lasted maybe 20 minutes max. All of the horror stories that I have heard of and about the length of the exam, this was nothing like it. We went into the office and the doctor asked me a series of questions starting with were I was from, how was my childhood, how did I do in school, when did I join the military and did I get into any trouble while I was in, where have I been stationed, my personal life, my drinking habits and if I used any drugs, my combat experience and stressors, if I am receiving any help for my condition, and finally how my personal life is now. He then looked at me and said that's all he needs and that I was done. There was not a checklist that he was going by, I didn't take no computer test like I've heard so much about from many veterans on this forum. I was stressing out about recalling and talking about the experiences but we never even went there. I don't know what to think, WTF.

I have already been diagnosed with PTSD by the VA prior to filing my claim and I am receiving treatment and attending group, could it be that they already have all of the information they need? You can never know what to expect from the VA, it's like they keep you in suspense. So for now I guess it's standby for standby. Has anyone experienced something similar or any thoughts on this?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

IMO, If your claims file is fully and properly developed, and it's "ready to rate", you should have a decision within 30-60 days of your C&P. Make sure your contact information is up to date. You could submit an IRIS at the end of the month and ask them for the status of your claim, ~Wings

Hi Gunny. Mine only took twenty minutes or so as well, so it does seem to be the standard. Would be curious as to what your GAF score is. It is usually relevant to your examination.

Good Luck

Semper Fi !!

I think I will probably need to request a copy of the exam to see what notes are in there and my GAF score. Thank you kilo 3/3.

Semper Fi!

Hello again Gunny. I also meant to mention that if you are close to a VA facility, they can usually pull up your C&P report. Just ask for the report by date of C&P, doctor's name, and they should have it in the computer. Once again, best of luck.

Semper Fi!!

Hello again Gunny. I also meant to mention that if you are close to a VA facility, they can usually pull up your C&P report. Just ask for the report by date of C&P, doctor's name, and they should have it in the computer. Once again, best of luck.

Semper Fi!!

Great. I was at the VA and did the ROI and hopefully receive the records soon. Thank you all for the great advice and information.

Semper Fi!

I have a PTSD exam coming up, and after reading all these different experiences, I'm not sure what to expect for what I'm claiming or even if I have a claim.

I spent 21 years in the Air Force, was invovled with the Libya conflict, and deployed right after Sadaam evaded Kuwait. From there, it was back and forth to the sand box until I was medically retired in 2004.

What's ironic, is none of my claims are for any war time events, they are for ongoing mental anguish and pain from events. I have 3 that stand fast in my head and will never forget.

FIRST...1988 I was courtmartialed (special) for using the auto hobby shop to replace a clutch in a friends vehicle for $95. As stupid it sounds, thats what happened. I talked about about suicide and was sent to see the "military professionals" on this and was closely watched me. They rreally made me feel like a shit. In the end, my punishment was $1,200 fine, and 1 stripe. Yeap....a Article 15 offense.

Don't get me wrong, what I did was wrong, but what they did to me was way over board. I relive those events quite often. I remember the names, days, the suicide thoughts while having that sigma over my head, and for what???? replacing a clutch? I sould laugh about, but I don't.

21 years later, and I still get stressed and headaches over this.

SECOND...1991 I had a bladder stone operation where they entered through the uretha/penis. Problem is, they only gave me a spinal, and left me wide awake to witness the whole procedure.

Legs in stirrups, I had the joy of watching as they inserted one large metal tube, after the next, into my penis until it was large enough to get forceps and drills into my bladder Why they didn't cut through the side, hell who knows.

Many may crig, many may say WTF. I've had stones since that time and horrified at the fact that if that particuler situation happens again, what I will have to go thorugh. The images are vivid and strong as the metal rods are inserted, not to mentioned the damage its done to my sex life and marriage.

THIRD...Quickly medically retired in 04 Rheumatoid Arthritis. (Started on chemo drugs and medical infusions. (rated 30%). Did that until late 07 and switched to other meds. I'm currently seeing a therapist for depression, anxiety, and pain management practices. I've been diagonsed with sleep apnea, ED, among other things that relate to this disease.

I never had representation over the years unitl I move to TX in late 07. When the DAV looked at my records they were astonished how everything was swept under the rug. Live and learn I guess.

Advice from anyone????? Thanks