VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied For Ptsd In 1984

Rate this question

winkjo

Question

Whoops...VARO May Have Done Me a Great Favor!

While continuing to deny my PTSD 100% or TDIU, the RO reminded me several months past that they denied my claim for PTSD in 2006 and in 1984 !!! Well, I literally had let it slip away that VA had actually DENIED "this newer condition called PTSD" way back in '84. I was too boot to the system back then to appeal the claim. Their mishandling of we Nam vets (and other veterans) back then SUCKED big time! It was brutal trajedy the way they screwd over all of us---still is today!

Frustrated by the B. S. I filed bankruptsy and went back to work (walking off jobs or getting fired) up until 2003. Quit my own small business and filed for DIB, claiming PTSD, DM-II + PN, etc. Fought another tough one vs Soc Sec but won netting DIB and a statement from SS ALJ awarding disability due to "severe PTSD" (and physical med issues) as reason for my inability to work gainfully.

A recent PTSD C&P exam netted all that any of us would pray for including inability to sustain gainful employment, prospects of improvement "poor"...nexus between combat exposure and PTSD, etc. Here, my friends of this forum, is where I need your feedback, comments and suggestions: Though I was too uniformed in 1984 to file an appeal vs denial for PTSD , what say you regarding my chances (currently close to RO decision on PTSD case) of an EED retro 1984??? Maybe not pie-in-the-sky??? Would like to hear from ALL !

Thank you & Semper Fi

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Whoops...VARO May Have Done Me a Great Favor!

While continuing to deny my PTSD 100% or TDIU, the RO reminded me several months past that they denied my claim for PTSD in 2006 and in 1984 !!! Well, I literally had let it slip away that VA had actually DENIED "this newer condition called PTSD" way back in '84. I was too boot to the system back then to appeal the claim. Their mishandling of we Nam vets (and other veterans) back then SUCKED big time! It was brutal trajedy the way they screwd over all of us---still is today!

Frustrated by the B. S. I filed bankruptsy and went back to work (walking off jobs or getting fired) up until 2003. Quit my own small business and filed for DIB, claiming PTSD, DM-II + PN, etc. Fought another tough one vs Soc Sec but won netting DIB and a statement from SS ALJ awarding disability due to "severe PTSD" (and physical med issues) as reason for my inability to work gainfully.

A recent PTSD C&P exam netted all that any of us would pray for including inability to sustain gainful employment, prospects of improvement "poor"...nexus between combat exposure and PTSD, etc. Here, my friends of this forum, is where I need your feedback, comments and suggestions: Though I was too uniformed in 1984 to file an appeal vs denial for PTSD , what say you regarding my chances (currently close to RO decision on PTSD case) of an EED retro 1984??? Maybe not pie-in-the-sky??? Would like to hear from ALL !

Thank you & Semper Fi

For an EED you will have to show a connection between your symptoms then and now. If you can do this than yes you could win an EED.

JMO,

Bergie

Hey Bergie

Appreciate your coming in on this one. At this point am beginning to look back at work problems in 1984-85, having been, once again, not able to hold a job without anguish and poor interaction with others. Can prove a bankruptcy which I filed for in '84, finalized in 1985. I recall being hit real hard by depression, fear and hiding from the world.

So, took my problems for the first time to the VA mental health people, complaining of these painful feelings and events. I asked for some form of group therapy with other combat veterans like myself, but it turned out like it did for so many of us back then. They just told me (like others) that I was bi-polar and nearly killed me on Lithium. I've seen IMO docs, VA docs and clinicians re: PTSD, yet have never been found to have a bi-polar illness in all the years since 1984 or 85. They just wanted in the dark ages to build a bunch of zombies and screw us out of benefits.

I feel that, since I have an opportunity to retro to 2003 fairly soon re: PTSD 100%, I may just handle that first and then dust off the '84 crap and attempt to retro back. Most vets out there would probably disagree with that plan!

Well, thanks once again my friend... hope all is going nicely for you and yours... come on back if you wish -

Semper Fi

I worked in a Vet Center in 1984 and they were still new at diagnosing and treating PTSD.

Did the VA ever try to verify your stressor?

What was the exact wording of the denial in 2006?

Your recent C & P sounds like it is Very supportive of the claim.

The only thing that could be lacking is proof of the stressor.

Do you have CIB, CAR, or PH on your DD214?

When the award is made (which should be made if the stressor can be verified) then you have established a basis that would lead to filing a CUE claim on the oldest decision in which they denied you.

You would need to prove legal errors made at that time.

What diagnostic code did they give you then for the disability that the VA recognizes now as PTSD? Whatever DC they stated in the older denial would be a clear and unmistakable error as it was not for PTSD and you have a PTSD diagnosis.

Have you also formally claimed the DMII and PN etc?

Edited by Berta

Philip

The thoughts are appreciated. Sorry I am not too sharp this early AM...can't sleep, as usual. But, if you have a minute, could you expand on "substitute completely for totally". I have a slight idea, but need clarification on your suggestion here.

Thank You

Semper Fi

Berta

May have opened a can of worms on this possibility of 1984 EED, but can see the justice in chasing the VA. I can give you info on a few of your posted questions, but will have to go out back to storage on a lot of this data--it's been a long time, Berta! Questions re: the diagnostic code, verification (proof) of stressor and exact wording of 2006 denial SHOULD be in stored files out back. Got a copy of my C-File in 06, but can only hope the data will answer these critical questions you kindly posed. Can only hope the files are complete enough!

In the meantime, yes--I am rated for DM-II, PN since 06. My medals include Viet Nam Service and Campaign Medals, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and National Defence Service Medal. I'm wondering if I can get another, more complete copy of

my C-File--can you only get one free copy within a handful of years apart?

I'll do some digging out back and get with you on these questions, Berta. Thanks, once again -

Semper Fi