VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied For Ptsd In 1984

Rate this question

winkjo

Question

Whoops...VARO May Have Done Me a Great Favor!

While continuing to deny my PTSD 100% or TDIU, the RO reminded me several months past that they denied my claim for PTSD in 2006 and in 1984 !!! Well, I literally had let it slip away that VA had actually DENIED "this newer condition called PTSD" way back in '84. I was too boot to the system back then to appeal the claim. Their mishandling of we Nam vets (and other veterans) back then SUCKED big time! It was brutal trajedy the way they screwd over all of us---still is today!

Frustrated by the B. S. I filed bankruptsy and went back to work (walking off jobs or getting fired) up until 2003. Quit my own small business and filed for DIB, claiming PTSD, DM-II + PN, etc. Fought another tough one vs Soc Sec but won netting DIB and a statement from SS ALJ awarding disability due to "severe PTSD" (and physical med issues) as reason for my inability to work gainfully.

A recent PTSD C&P exam netted all that any of us would pray for including inability to sustain gainful employment, prospects of improvement "poor"...nexus between combat exposure and PTSD, etc. Here, my friends of this forum, is where I need your feedback, comments and suggestions: Though I was too uniformed in 1984 to file an appeal vs denial for PTSD , what say you regarding my chances (currently close to RO decision on PTSD case) of an EED retro 1984??? Maybe not pie-in-the-sky??? Would like to hear from ALL !

Thank you & Semper Fi

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was awarded my SSDI in April, 2010, but have yet to hear back from the VA. My 1 year clock is winding down."

Does VA know of the SSA award and have they asked ypou to authorize them to get the SSA records?

Do you have copies of and proof of mailing of everything you have sent to them?

I dont quite understand the one year part- have you formally disagreed with the 30 % decision or asked them to reconsider it? and they arent acting on the reconsideration request?

Have you sent them an IRIS inquiry as to the status of this claim?

Hello Berta and hawkfire27.

Yes, the VA knows of my award from the SSA for disability. I live in Georgia and we have State Service Officers which submit our claims in behalf of other advocacy groups such as AMVETS, American Legion, DAV, etc. The day I got my letter from the SSA granting my SS Disability I went to my VSO and insured that he send this to the VA. I was in his office a week later and he showed me where the VA had received it. I kept the original. I have not officially filed a NOD, my VSO said that filing for reconsideration was quicker and that since my claim was impeccable in detail, with the IMO psychologist, the only thing negative may be the opinion of the VA's outside contract doctor. (My limited understanding of the Hindi language may have been a barrier, however).

I am not familiar with an IRIS inquiry though. I live pretty far away from a regional office or VA Hospital where I can get verified so I have not had opportunity to finish getting Ebenefits set up as of this date.

Hawkfire, are you saying that your reconsideration was turned down but you got a hearing with a DRO instead?

Thanks, yall, for your input.

John

Hello Berta and hawkfire27.

Yes, the VA knows of my award from the SSA for disability. I live in Georgia and we have State Service Officers which submit our claims in behalf of other advocacy groups such as AMVETS, American Legion, DAV, etc. The day I got my letter from the SSA granting my SS Disability I went to my VSO and insured that he send this to the VA. I was in his office a week later and he showed me where the VA had received it. I kept the original. I have not officially filed a NOD, my VSO said that filing for reconsideration was quicker and that since my claim was impeccable in detail, with the IMO psychologist, the only thing negative may be the opinion of the VA's outside contract doctor. (My limited understanding of the Hindi language may have been a barrier, however).

I am not familiar with an IRIS inquiry though. I live pretty far away from a regional office or VA Hospital where I can get verified so I have not had opportunity to finish getting Ebenefits set up as of this date.

Hawkfire, are you saying that your reconsideration was turned down but you got a hearing with a DRO instead?

Thanks, yall, for your input.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the only way to get major retro on a final decision is to file a CUE. This means there was a legal error when the VA denied your original PTSD claim. I am attempting to do this on a 1973 claim. You can only use the evidence that was before the rater at the time or should have been before the rater. This is much more tricky than it sounds.