VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Appointment = Disturbing Experience

Rate this topic

Hello Folks,

On occastion of my last visit to the Orthopedics clinic in the Ann Arbor (MI) VA facility I was subject to a very unpleasant and distressful experience during my appointment with the physician that I saw in such clinic. Such invididual whom I have never met before in any previous appointment at the very same clinic engaged in a concerted and systematic effort to degrade, degenerate and downgrade the severity, complexity, and variables pertaining my disability and condition. Moreover such physician even used sarcasm and irony against my person, and almost every single statement and comment expressed by such physician was in complete disagreement and in complete contradiction with what all others physicians that I have seen ever since had stated, commented, and expressed. Such individual demonstrated a strong bias against my person and my condition; it was by all means an abhorrent and obnoxious situation.

I believe that there are provisions within the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) that would allow me to file lawsuit against the VA in such circumstances (internal administrative actions within the VA seem to be mostly inept). One has the fundamental basic right to dignity and respect, thus such disgusting, distressful, and disturbing situation should never be acceptable in any way, shape, or form. It is also very important for me to have any type of statement or comment entered in my Medical Records by such individual permanently removed from my Medical Records.

Could anyone please advise about what should be the best approach for such issue.

Thanks,

tk3000

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TK

I am providing a link to a topic I brought up a few weeks back.

My husband had a similar situation with a C&P doctor. Who basic lied or "omitted" and added incorrect information into his medical record.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?show...&pid=192594

In this tread I stated I didn't understand why we had to apply for an amendment instead of getting a new C&P, well I was later informed by the Privacy officer at the VAMC that once notes are entered into the VA medical record they are part of the veteran permanent record and can not be removed. The amendment is then attached to this record to correct it for anyone viewing the incorrect record. IN this way it is officially overturned. BUT it is still in the record.

You know you can visit the customer service section in the patient advocates office and get a new ortho doc right???? I strongly suggest you do this and also contact the privacy officer at your VAMC to apply for an amendment to your medical record. You may need a doc outside of VA to review the ortho docs notes and write an IMO consistent with what you know to be correct.

Good luck!

p.s. In regards to the ortho doc and any claims you may have against him, I think it would be best to file a complaint with the VAMC's directors office. They will do there own investigation,and keep on them about it and the results of that investigation. If they do not resolve this matter satifactorily, you can then report them to the IGO (Inspector Generals office) and file a tort claim using the complaint and following investigation information (or lack thereof) as evidence in your tort. You have 1 year from the date of the incident to file a tort claim.

Check out the following information: (Its quite a read)

http://www.finchmccranie.com/refresher.htm

http://www.paire.org/hr/documents/Torte-Claim-Letter.pdf

Hello Folks,

On occastion of my last visit to the Orthopedics clinic in the Ann Arbor (MI) VA facility I was subject to a very unpleasant and distressful experience during my appointment with the physician that I saw in such clinic. Such invididual whom I have never met before in any previous appointment at the very same clinic engaged in a concerted and systematic effort to degrade, degenerate and downgrade the severity, complexity, and variables pertaining my disability and condition. Moreover such physician even used sarcasm and irony against my person, and almost every single statement and comment expressed by such physician was in complete disagreement and in complete contradiction with what all others physicians that I have seen ever since had stated, commented, and expressed. Such individual demonstrated a strong bias against my person and my condition; it was by all means an abhorrent and obnoxious situation.

I believe that there are provisions within the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) that would allow me to file lawsuit against the VA in such circumstances (internal administrative actions within the VA seem to be mostly inept). One has the fundamental basic right to dignity and respect, thus such disgusting, distressful, and disturbing situation should never be acceptable in any way, shape, or form. It is also very important for me to have any type of statement or comment entered in my Medical Records by such individual permanently removed from my Medical Records.

Could anyone please advise about what should be the best approach for such issue.

Thanks,

tk3000

Edited by hawkfire27

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hawkfire27 has good advice. VA patients rights indicates that you have the right to choose your physician. This guy sounds like a jerk. Get yourself a real doctor. Also, I had some resident docs who I could not trust, so I requested a staff physician and they changed me over.

tk,

Do you have any medical evidence of additional injury or disability

shown to be as a result of this Orthopedics clinic doctor.

A Federal Tort Claim is for mal-practice with a result of additional injury

and/or disability.

A patient having a really crummy experience with a doctor, does not

meet the level of a Tort claim.

You can request a change in providers but many times at the VAMC's

specialty clinics they might only have, the one doc.

I'd see a patient rep and write some letters to the VAMC director.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello Folks,

Thanks,

tk3000

I don't know about all that, but I do know that if you had used the word "such" one more time, in your attempt to appear "lawyerly", I was gonna reach through your computer screen and choke the daylights outta you.