VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice Sought On Mental Health C&p Re-eval

Rate this question

Sailing_Faith

Question

I am rated 80% right now, with 50% for migraines, and 30% for adjustment disorder (many symptoms related to the headaches, memory impairment, anxiety, sleep problems, etc). I also have several other rated conditions (knees, back, wrist,) all 10%. I was notified I was being re-evaluated for my migranes and my adjustment disorder. I showed up as required. In both cases, I was unable to drive myself to the appointment. The Dr. who saw me for the migranes noted this in his report, the Mental Health Evaluator did not. The Mental Health evaluator omitted several things I said, he did not report my statement that I had not slept the night before, or that I was wearing sunglasses and a hat as the light in his office was causing me to be nauseous. He seems to have copied most of the things I said, but omitted much of the symptoms I reported. My GAF as rated in my initial claim was 55... he suggests that my current GAF is 75. I have had an increase in symptoms, and have been unemployed since I left the Military. I am unable to work, and am working with an AMVETS rep to file for TDIU.... The Mental Health evaluator is known for controversial evaluations, and according to my AMVETS rep has had multiple Congressional investigations for prior claims. Anyone here have any advice for me? Thanks, As you might imagine this has been weighing on me rather heavily.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That really bites. The GAF rating is not a complete indicator, but it does say a lot. Some MH docs have no clue on how to really put together an accurate GAF score. I have heard of people getting a 55 for expressing serious frustrations but others get a 55 when they are literally bouncing off the walls.

The last time I read the VA patients' rights document, it says you have the right to choose your physician. I am not sure, but it might be worth it to try and seek another exam from a different physician. I'm sure some of the elders here could offer a better opinion.

Thank you for the reply. I had not realized the option to choose the provider applied to the C&P, I will look into that if I ever have to... thanks! I hope I do not need to take action, but want to get any advice I can on what I might need to do now, or what actions I can take... ...anyone who might be able to give some experienced based feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if it applies to a C&P or not. It's worth trying. However, under certain circumstances, you can request the specific gender of the MH examiner. I made it pretty clear up front and it worked for me.

This option does not hold water for the C&P examiner.

C&P examiners do not provide any medical care or treatment.

Been there and done it twice.

In my case, I am a female and requested a female C&P examiner.

I got a male examiner - BUT THEY DID HAVE a female chaperone in the room

during the full C&P exam.

jmho,

carlie