VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Staff Infection In Foot

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing is you have to prove negligence. I think the pod was negligent in not following the post-op infection. He told me it was a rash and not an infection. This is where he dropped the ball. It was done by civilian pod as VA does not do this state of the art type procedure. I just want my foot to heal and then I will think about something more. I can only get possible pain and suffering. This goes to show that even the most minor surgical procedure has risks. No patient is aware of these risks.....a horrendous staff infection. Who suspects that this will be the outcome of some simple procedure that does not even involve a stitch to close the opening in your skin?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, why do you feel that the Podiatrist mis-diagnosed John's problem?

I didn't say I felt that. I'm not qualified to diagnose. Even if I were qualified, I wasn't there. I chose my words most carefully.

John said "I feel like trying to sue that podiatrist who kept saying it was just a 'rash' on my foot. Maybe if I had gotten the proper DX I would not have had to have my foot cut open to the bone, and be on IV antibiotics for two weeks."

Based on that, I thought a chat with an attorney about potential misdiagnosis might be in his best interest.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Morning John,

As the days pass, I hope your foot is feeling better and is healing well.

I dread days of impaired mobility, and am looking forward to hearing that your staff infection has been resolved, and you are back in the swing of things in Sunny Fla...

post-4811-1272727827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Bob

The infection is getting better, but I don't think I am ready for sky diving yet. I have a dime sized hole in my foot that is about half an inch deep. Every day I go get it repacked with gauze. There is nothing quite like having someone push gauze into an open wound that is raw and red. I fear being bed ridden above all else. My wife would care for me, but I would rather go to join my ancestors than live like that for the rest of my days. If I was in bad shape I would really appreciate a doctor giving me versed and a hearty dose of morphine to ease me out of this world. Quality over quantity, but I am not ready to go just yet. I have watche three family members die in hospital or nursing homes. If I have the option I don't want to go like that. See, I must be depressed thinking about these things after being laid up for two weeks.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have a dime sized hole in my foot that is about half an inch deep. Every day I go get it repacked with gauze. There is nothing quite like having someone push gauze into an open wound that is raw and red. ...

Yes John, I hate it when that happens. It's been a few years since I've had a staff infection that needed the treatment you described. It left a nasty scar, however it did get better. We just have to hang in there.

Regarding the morphine exit. I remember the last time I was given that stuff. I truly understand what you mean. It does give one a feeling that it's OK to just let go and drift away, however, looking back, I am glad that I'm still here.

I am reminded of the movie Cast Away, with Tom Hanks, the line went something like this,..." I knew that I had to keep breathing, who knows what the tide will bring"...

Again, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Edited by Commander Bob