VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cloudy, Partially Sunny

Rate this question

maset22

Question

Hi all, It has been a good while that I had input on my journey. I have been diagnose with PTSD and still going thru sessions with both psychologist and psychiatrist. Seems like a long time. About two years. I am writing because even thou I do not cry, and my feelings seems lighter, I'm giving credit to my German Shepherd Dog, who as gotten me out the house, and involve in training him. So there is my dilemma, outward I seems fine, but I am still afraid and don't do crowds, we walk in the woods on the trails I once trained. Dr's are saying I am doing better, maybe so. But I feel that explosion just at the tip. I train my dog for K-9 duty. and looking forward for another to compliment my security. If the Dr's think my outward appearance, and tools I have learn while in session, Do make me better, Could that just made my case diminish? lower C&P? I still can't sit on my front porch with out anxiety, a small level SUDS with meds. One of my Dr. wants to do this exercise with out my meds. Makes me suspicious. and uncomfortable. Need some guidance. Therapy is about to conclude. That is were the clouds and some sunshine in my life are. I am still avoiding in my own way. I don't think I am that much better. Need some Guidance. Maset

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My Dog McKensie a wonderful field bred Golden Retriever helped me get out of my home. No telling where I would be without him.He would go with me everywhere and always wanted to go. If he heard keys rattle he was waiting at back door to go.

I have 2 Goldens now who go with me also.

Dogs can really be a big help.

Maset,

CHR's treatment for PTSD has been a slow, ongoing process much like you are saying. Your post says your therapy is about to conclude; will you be having follow up treatment on a regular basis?

As far as working with your German shepard; I agree that a dog can really help. CHR has worked with our terriers on a regular basis for several years now. After a while he started taking them to obedience trials and Earthdog tests. Working with the dogs has made a huge difference in his life.

Chr's wife - Kathy

Yes I agree with both of you? My big question thou is because I am going out more due to the dog. will that have an effect on my disability claim as far as a lower C&P. Because they might see progress. I haven't put in a claim as yet, bue to a prior claim that has not been concluded.

Edited by maset22

chr49, The Dr. had mention that I cannot stay in therapy for twenty years, plus to tell the truth, I'm a little tired of going about twice or three times a month. But I imagine there will be continuous follow ups. But I still have that main question lingering in my mind. Will the VA lean to reduce my C&P due to the looks of getting better? which is not overall

Edited by maset22

Yes I agree with both of you? My big question thou is because I am going out more due to the dog. will that have an effect on my disability claim as far as a lower C&P. Because they might see progress. I haven't put in a claim as yet, bue to a prior claim that has not been concluded.

Once you make your claim, your records will be evaluated and you will have your C&P exam. After all is said and done, your claim will be rated in accordance to the VBA 38 C.F.R. Book C, Schedule for Rating Disabilities. You can find this information at http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html

Look for information specific to PTSD as follows:

§ 4.130 Schedule of ratings — mental disorders

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Your condition will most likely be re-evaluated periodically.

I am not an authority on the subject but IMO I really don't see any reason why you shouldn't enjoy activities with your dog.

chr49, The Dr. had mention that I cannot stay in therapy for twenty years, plus to tell the truth, I'm a little tired of going about twice or three times a month. But I imagine there will be continuous follow ups. But I still have that main question lingering in my mind. Will the VA lean to reduce my C&P due to the looks of getting better? which is not overall

Maset,

I don't know about treatment times, etc. I'm just asking questions because I'm seeing my psychiatrist every 3 months for my PTSD treatment. I was first seen in 2007. I get my all of my medications refills from my PCP with the exception of my PTSD medications, which come from my psychiatrist.

I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong here: I believe your Compensation & Pension exam(C&P) results go to the rater along with your medical/psychiatric records and other evidence. The entire package is used to determine your disability rating.

In answer to your question: Yes, it is possible that you could have a reduction in your rating over time. Once you read over the disability ratings you will notice that you can actually work and have a 70% disability. Speaking for myself only, I don't want a 100% PTSD rating, since I would be considered incapable of caring for myself and making my own decisions and I know I'm still capable of those things.

Edited by chr49