VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cloudy, Partially Sunny

Rate this question

maset22

Question

Hi all, It has been a good while that I had input on my journey. I have been diagnose with PTSD and still going thru sessions with both psychologist and psychiatrist. Seems like a long time. About two years. I am writing because even thou I do not cry, and my feelings seems lighter, I'm giving credit to my German Shepherd Dog, who as gotten me out the house, and involve in training him. So there is my dilemma, outward I seems fine, but I am still afraid and don't do crowds, we walk in the woods on the trails I once trained. Dr's are saying I am doing better, maybe so. But I feel that explosion just at the tip. I train my dog for K-9 duty. and looking forward for another to compliment my security. If the Dr's think my outward appearance, and tools I have learn while in session, Do make me better, Could that just made my case diminish? lower C&P? I still can't sit on my front porch with out anxiety, a small level SUDS with meds. One of my Dr. wants to do this exercise with out my meds. Makes me suspicious. and uncomfortable. Need some guidance. Therapy is about to conclude. That is were the clouds and some sunshine in my life are. I am still avoiding in my own way. I don't think I am that much better. Need some Guidance. Maset

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well said and understood, chr49. I'm just suspicious of the process, specially since I don't know. Will post those concern with my Dr. Thanks for your timely response. maset

Well said and understood, chr49. I'm just suspicious of the process, specially since I don't know. Will post those concern with my Dr. Thanks for your timely response. maset

Maset,

Thank you for listening to my opinions. I can only tell you what has happened/worked in my life or what I've learned along the way. I can tell you that I experience the same feelings you do at times.

The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself as much as you can. Searching thru the Hadit forum for info on topics of interest will help a lot. There's a lot of support here. The main page of Hadit.com has some great information links so I hope you'll check them out if you haven't done so already. The more you learn, both here and from other sources, the better prepared you'll be for life's challenges.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't worry about how feeling a little better will help or hurt your claim. The VARO is pretty much stuck in time and after they get your records don't dig much deeper or even look at current treatment. Your C&P will cover those kinds of issues but hard for an examiner to really learn anything in 1 to 20 minutes.

Those of us from the Vietnam war or even Korea and WW II that have PTSD and never sought help, mostly turned to alcohol and street drugs for self medication trying to forget and suppress the memories, we never seem to "recover" because we have been "stuck" for too many years. I see the Psychiatrist and Psychologist once a month every month, group therapy every week, been through the 12 week CPT program. Still don't like to leave the house, hypervigilant, don't trust people or want to be around them. I think the Doctors update your case file every time you visit them so if they see improvement they will put that into your case file, that can effect your rating. As for myself, I keep taking the meds so I don't go postal, I tell the Doctors and Therapists the only way I will forget is to have a "time machine " take me back to the moment just before I jumped off the landing craft in Quang Ngai province in January 1966 and when the ramp dropped we were in Southern California @ Pendleton's San Onefre beach!! I hope you do have some recovery from this disorder, I would much rather be a "whole" person then a combat veteran "stuck" in 1966 and labeled disabled with compensation. I wonder how life would have been different over those last 44 years!! I wish you the best maset22, you stay in therapy for life if that is what it takes, I know I have too!!

Those of us from the Vietnam war or even Korea and WW II that have PTSD and never sought help, mostly turned to alcohol and street drugs for self medication trying to forget and suppress the memories, we never seem to "recover" because we have been "stuck" for too many years. I see the Psychiatrist and Psychologist once a month every month, group therapy every week, been through the 12 week CPT program. Still don't like to leave the house, hypervigilant, don't trust people or want to be around them. I think the Doctors update your case file every time you visit them so if they see improvement they will put that into your case file, that can effect your rating. As for myself, I keep taking the meds so I don't go postal, I tell the Doctors and Therapists the only way I will forget is to have a "time machine " take me back to the moment just before I jumped off the landing craft in Quang Ngai province in January 1966 and when the ramp dropped we were in Southern California @ Pendleton's San Onefre beach!! I hope you do have some recovery from this disorder, I would much rather be a "whole" person then a combat veteran "stuck" in 1966 and labeled disabled with compensation. I wonder how life would have been different over those last 44 years!! I wish you the best maset22, you stay in therapy for life if that is what it takes, I know I have too!!

Pigdriver,

What you've said says it all as far as I'm concerned! I will continue seeing my Psychiatrist as requested & going to my AA meetings twice weekly for the rest of my life. I need the continuous support.

Thanks

Edited by chr49

Thanks to all, Ironically today is my wife 50th B'day. She is out, and I am stuck here at home. I will talk to Dr. let them know I am not better in no way. Snap shop here and there is not a whole picture. Will read and continue to learn about the syndrome Disorder. Thanks once again, you guy's and ladies are enough therapy for me. Maset