VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Couple Of Questions. Hopefully Correct Forum

Rate this question

cavscout1967

Question

Hi all,

Before I joined the Army in 1988 I needed a waiver to join. I was in a alcohol treatment program and I was taking lithium as part of my program. I was able to join up and served honorably and was honorably discharged in 1996. I have a 10% rating for a broken leg and ankle with 5 screws and 2 steel plates holding it all together. I have submitted for a raising of that claim due it getting worse. I also submitted for depression since I have been through 9-10 jobs since 1996 and have been on Paxil since about 2000.

I had a mental evaluation as part of my claims and I am wondering since its in my army medical records I was in the treatment center prior to joining and given lithium does that create a nexus to show a worsening condition of mental health issues while I was in the service. My life kind of fell apart after I was discharged. The VA counselor did say she was going to diagnose me with anti social personality disorder after she asked me a battery of questions, but that due to childhood abuse she wasnt sure if it was service related. She did say that my mom " xxxxxx you up" with the abuse. She said she would review my file. That was several months ago.

I am still waiting for the results to come in the mail. So I do not know if it was approved or denied. Just curious what you all think.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Hi all,

Before I joined the Army in 1988 I needed a waiver to join. I was in a alcohol treatment program and I was taking lithium as part of my program. I was able to join up and served honorably and was honorably discharged in 1996. I have a 10% rating for a broken leg and ankle with 5 screws and 2 steel plates holding it all together. I have submitted for a raising of that claim due it getting worse. I also submitted for depression since I have been through 9-10 jobs since 1996 and have been on Paxil since about 2000.

I had a mental evaluation as part of my claims and I am wondering since its in my army medical records I was in the treatment center prior to joining and given lithium does that create a nexus to show a worsening condition of mental health issues while I was in the service. My life kind of fell apart after I was discharged. The VA counselor did say she was going to diagnose me with anti social personality disorder after she asked me a battery of questions, but that due to childhood abuse she wasnt sure if it was service related. She did say that my mom " xxxxxx you up" with the abuse. She said she would review my file. That was several months ago.

I am still waiting for the results to come in the mail. So I do not know if it was approved or denied. Just curious what you all think.

More info. I went to the VA in ST.PAUL and had my records copied for me a few hrs ago. This is what the pschiatrist said: According to the records the vet was in alcohol treatment in 1987 and was prescribed lithium. Hois enlistemtment exam refers to his alcohol treatment and a a psychiatric consult was reviewed. The vet was uncertain if he sought mental health counseling while in the service. The vet does report he sought mental health treatment within a year of leaving service and the computer shows he went to PUGET SOUND HCS in 1996 but the computer doesnt say why as the notes dont go that far back.

There are no records in his C file for mental health treatment.

Without a record from 1996 there is not enough information to service connect this vet. Without the information at this time I cannot resolve this issue without resorting to speculation.

Ideas/thoughts/comments

axisI depression nos

AxisII personality disorder with anti social features

Axis III See medical

Axis IV recently divorced, living with new GF, estranged from son, unemployment, financial

Axis V Global assessmnt of functioning. The above paragraph is a summary of what she said.

Thanks for reading.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your VA counselor is putting the screws to you if she gives you a dx of anti-social PD. This is poison. You must show that your pre-existing depression got worse in service. I am aghast that the military would take you in knowing of a severe depression via lithium treatments (usually for bipolar disorder). How did they think that you were not going to have trouble and need constant care in service for this major disorder? Often people with bipolar disorder get dx of anti-social PD because while manic they do crazy things. I got dx of pseudopsychopathic schizophrenia PD because of schizophrenia which drove me to do some crazy things but nothing criminal. A dx of anti-social PD is about the worst thing a shrink can tell you. Have you ever been in jail or prison? This is the dx prisoners in maximum security get often including gang bangers, murderers and habitual criminals. You should not be talking about your childhood. You should be talking about military experience only. This counselor is your enemy not your friend. Get a new one and don't talk about your childhood.

Your VA counselor is putting the screws to you if she gives you a dx of anti-social PD. This is poison. You must show that your pre-existing depression got worse in service. I am aghast that the military would take you in knowing of a severe depression via lithium treatments (usually for bipolar disorder). How did they think that you were not going to have trouble and need constant care in service for this major disorder? Often people with bipolar disorder get dx of anti-social PD because while manic they do crazy things. I got dx of pseudopsychopathic schizophrenia PD because of schizophrenia which drove me to do some crazy things but nothing criminal. A dx of anti-social PD is about the worst thing a shrink can tell you. Have you ever been in jail or prison? This is the dx prisoners in maximum security get often including gang bangers, murderers and habitual criminals. You should not be talking about your childhood. You should be talking about military experience only. This counselor is your enemy not your friend. Get a new one and don't talk about your childhood.

How do I get a new one? This was the gal who did my C&P exam for my initial consult to even see if I had a problem.

Hi again.

I have now received my VA decision about my claim. I was increased 10% for tinnitus and given 0% for knee, shoulder and finger. Anxiety and depression were both denied.

I am currently being seen by the VA for suicidal idealation and anger problems. Today was my first meeting with my therapist who stated in the meeting that he thinks I am depressed. He prescribed me with Citalopram and scheduled another therapy meeting with me and also scheduled me for a mood evaluation with another therapist.

I haope this nex part is OK for me to post here..If it is not please move to correct area or send PM..This is what the VA said egarding my depression in the award letter.

Your service treatment records show a psychiatry consult in September 1988, prior to military enlistment. The records show you had a DWI in August 1987, and you spnt 90 days in ########### treatment center where you received mental health treatment. The records show problems with alcohol abuse, mood swings, low self worth, and anger control issues. You were placed on a trial of Lithium at that time.. Your service records are negative for any type of diagnoses of, or treatment for any similiar type of condition while on active duty.

Treatment records from ########### show that you established care for anxiety problems in 2005. At that time you had run out of PAXIL and you were having panic attacks on a daily basis. In 2008 you were seen for an increase in anxiety and depression symptoms.

In 2008 your medication was changed to 20mg fluoxetine.

So let me get this straight. I had a problems before the army and then I joined the army and didnt go and complain because as a combat arms soldier who liked running around and playing soldier I didnt want to get ridiculed by my buddies,

I signed the POA for the American Legion to rep me in my appeal and will be bringing this letter down to them in the morning.

Can they just say I didnt seek help in the service and now just say screw you? I fail to see how my problems mentally were not aggravated by my service.