VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployment And Vocational Rehab?

Rate this question

vetmp

Question

Does anyone have experience in being on Unemployment and being approved for Vocational Rehab? I was on State disability for awhile, my benefits ran out and I had to look for work. While not finding any, I checked to see if I could reopen my unemployment claim and to my surprise I could and have 60 weeks left with all the extensions...

Am I able to recieve both benefits at the same time or does one offset the other?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Good question, I don't recall seeing anything saying a Vet can't apply & get approved for Voc Rehab while on state unemployability.

Hope you get needed assistance.

Cowgirl

Does anyone have experience in being on Unemployment and being approved for Vocational Rehab? I was on State disability for awhile, my benefits ran out and I had to look for work. While not finding any, I checked to see if I could reopen my unemployment claim and to my surprise I could and have 60 weeks left with all the extensions...

Am I able to recieve both benefits at the same time or does one offset the other?

• HadIt.com Elder

You could I think but remember state unemployment benefits state that you declare under oath that you are able and ready to work. That is why you don't want to apply for unemployment while asking for IU. You might get away with it, but you must lie at some point I think.

Well, Im already recieving the unemployment. I can work, there just isnt much out there that isnt labor or stress intensive. Anyway, I hope it works out, regardless.

I know you can. I received VR&E while I was on unemployment. I told my counselor I was on unemployment. I was still approved for VR&E WHILE ON UNEMPLOYMENT. I didn't have any change in my unemployment benefits either. The way they, NC Employement office, look at it is NCESC DOES NOT count VR&E as income and will have no effect on your benefits. Same is true with your compensation claims.