VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

20 Year Old In College With One Light Semester Load

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

My son is 20 yrs old and is in college full time. He would like to take a heavy load of courses in Summer School, take a lighter load in Fall, and then heavy again in Spring 2011. He is taking 15 credits now, would take 9 dredits in Summer School, and would take 9 credits in Fall.

*Does my son have to be "Full Time" for me to continue to get the benefit of increased monthy payment of my disability compensation?

*If so, how is it computed, minimun credits per year, or in a semester?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Unless the whole system has changed over these many years, and it has,,,,

Twelve credit hours are considered full time

I suspect any self respecting GI Bill would require

A student to go full time

Thanks...but he is willing to go VERY heavy in summer (after a very heavy Spring) so he could go more moderate in Fall....the busy season at his part time job. So...it would help us immensely if they looked at it "annualy", and maybe they do. So, I hope for more official information here to help us. Thanks for contributing though.

Unless the whole system has changed over these many years, and it has,,,,

Twelve credit hours are considered full time

I suspect any self respecting GI Bill would require

A student to go full time

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are asking if, for him to be considered your "dependent" if he carries a 9 hr load this summer...........then, yes, he will qualify for being your dependent, as long as he is "actively enrolled". The only time that semester hours really comes into play is if he is receiving chap 35 benefits, then, if he is not carrying the minimum 12 hours to be considered "full time", then he will be paid less than the maximum $925 monthly stipend, but, that is IF he is receiving the chap 35 bennies, and has nothing to do with whether he is to be considered your "dependent" or not. Totally two different scenarious.

The only place in VA payments are altered for education benefits under 12 credit 12 crdeits hours is, GI BILL (your sons own one), Voc Rehab (Veteran only) , and Chapter 35 DEA benefits ( for 100% SC'ed Vets dependantys).

If you are wondering about the benefit you get for having a dependant child because they are in school? Well, LarryJ is right, it is active enrollment, in other words, they are still attneding classes.

You best bet is to talk to the Financial Aid officer at his school and ask for the person that deals with VA. They will know more about how VA works in regards to you University.

I think that as long as he is goig to school and living in your house and/oryou are claiming him for tax pruposes (if you file taxes) then he is your dependant in regards to VA compensation. I looked through M21-1 and 38 CFR and I couldn't find anything that states he had to be full time (12 credits)

Edited by hawkfire27

"I wonder if your son is earning his own money why you need the dependant payment?"

who the hell are you to act like that toward me? He has a pissy little part time job and it's real seasonal... he gets a bit more work in the fall. He lives with me, eats my food, I buy his clothes etc... and he will soon be off to upstate college campus with me still footing much of the bill.

I don't need your crap buddy.