VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Writing A Self Made Letter For Help/guidance

Rate this question

Dave20290

Question

Hey all, thanks for the advice in the past. I would search 'letter' but i get about 1000 listings. I'm 100% sc with 70ptsd and 30iu. My scheduled exam is coming up. I'm not that good at expressing feelings at a moments notice or wanting to recollect things such as that (as most of us). Is it a red flag to bring in a letter I currently wrote about my recent days experiences to help me. I just don't know if its a big no no or not. I realistically think they would not take it and read it? Any experiences with anyone in the past doing this? Thanks everyone

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Dave,

You may want to also take a list of your meds that you are RX'd

for SC'd disabilities and discuss any side effects you may have from the meds.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
I suppose the exam is just to see if my condition is worse better or the same...

We need more info to better help you....

Is this letter for a C&P exam or just another doctor's visit??? Do you want them to read your letter or do you want to refer to it while you are visiting the Dr.???

Do you want to submit the letter in support of your claim? If you want to submit the letter in support of your claim, then you should use VA Form 21-4138. Or if it is hand written, for the last paragraph of your letter you should write "I certify that the statements in this letter are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief".

If you are going to submit your letter, then you should put your VA claim file number at the Top of your letter.

Edited by Commander Bob

I just wanted to bring the letter I wrote to a C&P exam. I was going to use it for reference during the exam so i didn't forget anything important. Because the last time I had an exam they asked If I had anything else to add, and I said no. Later in the day I was remembering stuff I should of said. If they wanted to just read the thing it would be okay (and easier too), in that case do i need to verify the letter I wrote, like you mentioned? Are they required to keep it if they read it? Can I submit the letter directly to the examiner like you mentioned?

I'm just not sure if it will help or hurt the situation to submit a letter about my PTSD. Do examiners take kindly to this or do they view it as a so called 'cheat sheet'. Which it isn't of course but I'm just trying to see how the VA percieves things (they're tricky, ya' know?). IF anyone submitted a letter directly to the examiner, was it a good outcome?