VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

Bob-e

Question

If as a boy I had witnessed my little brother drown (CPR resuscitated) in the family pool then as an adult I witnessed one of my classmates in SAR school drown (Oxygen bottle resuscitated). The SAR drowning exacerbated the earlier PTSD from childhood. Does that fall under the purview of the law?

Also, as a Navy whistle-blower in 1985., when the US Navy branded, slandered and libeled me publicly in the press, and in the very halls of Congress while I testified to Congress about the $320,000,000 fraud, waste and abuse on the USS Kitty Hawk. The mental trauma I received prior to that from being thrown into the streets with seventy-two days left on active duty, without any support from the Navy, made me feel as abandoned as Chuck Connors in the television show Branded™. Being branded, and drummed out of service, and then having the VA turn its back on me since 1993, has left me twenty-five years later with Dysthymia, MDD, PTSD and Panic Attacks.

I am not in good health and am mentally and 100% physically permanently disabled. I went to the VA last week for a meeting with my third psychiatrist in five months. Yeah, one part assembly-line socialized medicine, one part shuffle the buck and the final piece - having my psychologist insult me multiple times.

Anyway, I had a melt down and yelled at the new psychiatrist, which turns out is NOT a good way to let off anger. Of course, until the VA approves my service connected, and service caused claim, the shrinks can't actually talk with me about what is causing my mental problems and anguish - Catch-22.

They almost admitted me - that scares me. My wife was there and assured them just because I yelled doesn't make me dangerous. I was just pissed-off about be pissed-on by the VA.

I just want fair and legal compensation, and treatment, so I can have an opportunity to once again see happiness in the world - instead, of hidden threats from ghostly foes.

Please read my blog if you want to know more: http://cid-5d732de5984e829c.profile.live.com/

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

She let me go home because I have do not have any guns in my house and I am not a candidate for suicide - even though 95% of people with Dysthymia do commit suicide.

Bob-e

Bob-e,

Do you have ANY link to support that, "95% of people with Dysthymia do commit suicide."

I would have to say this percentage would be WAYYYYYYYYY out of line.

Perhaps it is a typo.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Bob-e

If you want to win you claim focus on your own medical evidence. All the rest gets blown off by VA. Next time the VA wants to send you to the rubber room let them do it. That is good evidence of being mental. That is how I got my initial rating and how I got IU P&T.

• HadIt.com Elder

Being put in a VA Mental Hospital for 30 Days is what made my claim work. That and medical evidence.

Keep your claim as simple and on target as possible and do not count on a Service Officer to file appeals or furnish info to VA that is your job as the claimant.

Thank you , I will take your words of wisdom.

This is all so very over-whelming. With PTSD and depression it is hard, as you know, to separate the anger. Also, I am not an attorney, nor do I have any expertise in this area, so I am trying the best I can. I am going to cut and paste your simple sentence about how the denial is retribution to the whistle-blowing. The assault by Primo should've worked in 1993, as the official "stressor". The DSM-IV stressor criterion requirements are proved. That stressor was reported in the press and in the Congressional Record when I testified on October 1, 1985.

I am confident the PTSD will ultimately be awarded to me along with the rest of the ensuing medical issues, except the tinnitus. If however, I can't get an answer from the VA by the end of June I will look into finding a lawyer to help me. Perhaps a member may be able to give me a referral? I just don't want to lose 20% of all of the money I will have for the rest of my life. I am unable to work due to physical disabilities.

As to the whistle-blowing as being used to satisfy the Criterion IV Stressor requirements. Since there are few of us in history, I am doing my best to insure that future military personnel who stand-up against fraud, waste and abuse of the American tax dollar knows they will be compensated and treated for mental abuse and PTSD that ensues. ALL vets, as do active military people, know the military can and does put its members into events that leads them to face the threat of death; and with that fear comes helplessness and horror. Whistle-blowing at least in my case is no different.

I will go further to prove my point. I originally blew the whistle to the Naval Investigative Service. Just them. No one else. The NIS had a "bad" agent who intentionally lost the documents I had given to him to prove my case; then he called the Supply Officer on the USS Kitty and told him I had blown the whistle to the NIS.

I was left out to dry. I knew I was a dead-man walking. At the age of twenty-six and the NIS agent told me they were going to send me to Fort Leavenworth on a host of UCMJ violations. I FEARED for my life as any sane person would do about being sent to prison. I felt helplessness in that the NIS was corrupt. I found myself in a no way out position and had forty-eight hours, one weekend, to find a solution. By the Grace of God, my brother worked in a big firm in downtown San Diego. He had a buddy who practiced corporate law and was an Air Force vet. I told the lawyer my story and gave him 15,000 pieces of documents. I asked him to hold onto them and if I died when the ship pulled out to sea in two weeks - please give them to the press.

That lawyer, Randy C. Whaley (619-234-5100 still practicing law in San Diego) in 1985, dropped everything he was doing and called Congressman Jim Bates (D-CA) and the Los Angeles Times (Glenn Bunting). I FEARED the Navy would kill me to keep the story quiet just as much as I feared getting thrown over the side into the screws by Primo and his gang. That is why, I believe, "blowing-the-whistle" needs to be added to those "stressors" allowed for Title 38 PTSD claims.

My two cents,

Bob-e

Bob-e,

Very little of the information contained in the blog you continue to refer to, will ever be applied

and factored into the adjudication of your claim for VA disability compensation benefits.

In regards to SC of VA disability claims issues - all that will be relevant is your medical evidence

and the regs in 38 CFR.

IMO, when you continue to combine all of the information contained in your publications regarding

the "whistle-blowing" actions, versus getting disabilities granted for service connection, it will

only result in the continuation of negative rating decisions.

A simple statement to VBA from you, saying something to the effect of

I feel the denial of SC for my claims of disabilities by the VA, is a form of retaliation from the

"whistle-blowing" actions, I reported on active duty.

I feel it needs to be very brief as stated above and the main thing you will need to do

is concentrate on your medical evidence and the regs in 38 CFR.

Then you must concentrate on supportive medical evidence regarding your claim issues

while rebutting any medical evidence that is detrimental to your claim issues.

I don't see your claim issues getting SC'd without the medical evidence relating the PTSD

to active duty, perhaps by way of the assault.

As I said earlier - there for sure is no way at all that I could see PTSD ever SC'd

as secondary to Tinnitus, as was addressed in other postings.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Like I said earlier, I suspect that you are here to "be heard" as opposed to "being helped".

I do not have the time to read your "blog" and now I am finding that I do not have the time to read your posts.

The rest of y'all can continue along with this person's ideations if you wish to, but I refuse to feed their disease any further.

Bob-e,

Do you have ANY link to support that, "95% of people with Dysthymia do commit suicide."

I would have to say this percentage would be WAYYYYYYYYY out of line.

Perhaps it is a typo.

carlie

This is the best I could find on the mortality rate:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=us