VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Have To Reveal Non-relevant Medical Details?

Rate this topic

Hello Vets,

My claim for VA benefits was effective May of 2004. I won my claim in August of 2009, retroed back to May of 2004. In Jan 2007 I was also diagnoised with Parkinson's Disease. My tremor is mild and on medication, it's very hard to tell. When I had my C&P exam since I wasn't being seen for Parkinson's I didn't mention it to him and he didn't notice. My question; Now that I'm going to the VA on Friday to enroll in the VA health system, should I mention it to them now? Will it cause any problem if I do or if I keep it to myself? I will have to continue to see a private neurologist for the Parkinson's and I'm sure he will be writting the medicine prescriptions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Blackbird ]

Edited by blackbird

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

blackbeard,

you didn't say what health issue you filed benefits for.

Also, if your going to a Dr, VA or private, why wouldn't you want to inform them of all your health problems?

Am I understanding you had parkinsons before your C&P but didn't tell the examiner? What was your reason for concealing it? Did it have nothing to do with your claimed issue or would it have messed up your claim?

[Hello Vets,

My claim for VA benefits was effective May of 2004. I won my claim in August of 2009, retroed back to May of 2004. In Jan 2007 I was also diagnoised with Parkinson's Disease. My tremor is mild and on medication, it's very hard to tell. When I had my C&P exam since I wasn't being seen for Parkinson's I didn't mention it to him and he didn't notice. My question; Now that I'm going to the VA on Friday to enroll in the VA health system, should I mention it to them now? Will it cause any problem if I do or if I keep it to myself? I will have to continue to see a private neurologist for the Parkinson's and I'm sure he will be writting the medicine prescriptions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Blackbird ]

Edited by allan

Hey Allen,

My claimed problem was a back injury, service connected. The reason I didn't reveal the Parkinson's was that it happened was diagnoised several years after the back claim and I didn,t feel like it should any thing to do with my claim. I was also advised by an Elder at Hadit to keep it to myself since I wasn't seeking treatment or compensation for the disease.

Blackbird

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you should tell them. I tell my Docs all including an annual update on Meds I am taking. I have the VA and I have a private insurance Doc.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA compensation system and the VA medical treatment system are tow different beasts.

It is wise to give anyone treating you all pertinent medical information. In fact, records of a medical condition and treatment in your VA file can help when you deal with the compensation side of the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

And, not only that, but, if a doctor is treating me, I want to make doubly sure that he (and the pharmacy) are aware of ALL medications and all physical/mental problems I may have. There are some drugs, that if taken with other drugs, can just kill you. And, that's not good. :)