VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Decide, Can I Handle It?

Rate this question

Sailing_Faith

Question

I am currently 80%, I have not had gainful employment since October 2007 when I transferred to Fleet Reserve. My last few years on active duty were spent highly impaired, fortunately I had a job where I was able to still be productive. I have persistent, prostrating migraine headaches most days. This has been documented as SC and rated at the maximum of 50%. I also have adjustment disorder (memory loss) that is rated as 30%. My 80% rating breaks down as; 50% Migraine H/A 30% Adjustment DO 10% Lumbar spine 10% Rt thumb tendonitis 10% Lt Knee Patellofemoral syndrome 10% Rt Knee Patellofemoral syndrome 10% Bilateral tinnitus I was called in to my local VA center for re-evaluation on the first 2 conditions in Feb, and I just got the result back. My rating was not changed. The Mental health eval did make some comments that I never made (saying I was content not working as I was retired). I am a trained Clinical Mental Health Counselor, but can not drive to work or keep appointments due to nausea and medication use. I also doubt that I could work in a clinical setting with the cognitive impairment issues (clients tend to expect you remember their names without consulting your notes over and over while you are working).... My local AMvets Rep has encouraged me to file for TDIU, but I am not sure I am up for the battle. What kind of anxiety will the VA likely inflict on me through this process? I already have sleep related problems, but the wait for the result of the re-eval was terrible. If I file for TDIU will they make me go through the entire process again>? What kind of effect will the statement that the MH evaluator made (that I was experiencing no work impairment as I was retired) likely have on my claim? My bills are paid right now, but we have moved my mother in with us and are barely making it with just getting by. Tdiu would help, I am frankly not sure if I am up for the fight, how bad is it likely to be?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are going to file for IU you should get your own private doctor to write a report saying you can't work due to established service connected problems. Don't rely on the VA or military for this.

If you are going to file for IU you should get your own private doctor to write a report saying you can't work due to established service connected problems. Don't rely on the VA or military for this.

Thanks for the reply john, (BTW, I have no idea why the paragraph breaks dropped out of that post, I did not write it as one sentence so thanks for bothering to even read it... I can't) Funny you should mention that. I got copies of all my post military treatment records, and notice that while the care I have gotten has been good, the documentation has not been. For example, I have had several visits to the neurologist at the naval hospital (using Tricare) and each time he reported that I said my pain was 'zero'... my pain has not been zero at any time in the last few years. He also documented 'no evidence of photophobia' which is strange as I wear dark glasses as artificial lighting generally triggers nausea and he has forgone shining the sight in my eyes to prevent this reaction....

Same kinds of issues with my primary care doctor, not recording statements about my memory impairment, or other secondary symptoms (like sleep impairment) even on appointment's where she prescribed Ambien... ???

Do you think the Active duty providers at the naval hospital are being told not to document these things? What gives?

Sailing

It may be time to see a private (non-VA) physician who can document your ailments correctly. I haven't met a VA doc yet that has ever given two sh*** about me or my predicament. My non-VA docs, on the other hand, have been lifesavers (literally).

Eagle

• HadIt.com Elder
I am currently 80%, I have not had gainful employment since October 2007 when I transferred to Fleet Reserve. My last few years on active duty were spent highly impaired, fortunately I had a job where I was able to still be productive. I have persistent, prostrating migraine headaches most days. This has been documented as SC and rated at the maximum of 50%. I also have adjustment disorder (memory loss) that is rated as 30%. My 80% rating breaks down as; 50% Migraine H/A 30% Adjustment DO 10% Lumbar spine 10% Rt thumb tendonitis 10% Lt Knee Patellofemoral syndrome 10% Rt Knee Patellofemoral syndrome 10% Bilateral tinnitus I was called in to my local VA center for re-evaluation on the first 2 conditions in Feb, and I just got the result back. My rating was not changed. The Mental health eval did make some comments that I never made (saying I was content not working as I was retired). I am a trained Clinical Mental Health Counselor, but can not drive to work or keep appointments due to nausea and medication use. I also doubt that I could work in a clinical setting with the cognitive impairment issues (clients tend to expect you remember their names without consulting your notes over and over while you are working).... My local AMvets Rep has encouraged me to file for TDIU, but I am not sure I am up for the battle. What kind of anxiety will the VA likely inflict on me through this process? I already have sleep related problems, but the wait for the result of the re-eval was terrible. If I file for TDIU will they make me go through the entire process again>? What kind of effect will the statement that the MH evaluator made (that I was experiencing no work impairment as I was retired) likely have on my claim? My bills are paid right now, but we have moved my mother in with us and are barely making it with just getting by. Tdiu would help, I am frankly not sure if I am up for the fight, how bad is it likely to be?

For some, TDIU is a hard decision. It comes with many chains and restrictions.

JMHO... If you just cannot work and support your family and/ or yourself with a quality of life that you have earned. Then I would endorse your AMvets NSO' suggestion, and file for TDIU. With your skills, you can still contribute to society and help your fellow man.

Good luck on your decision.

• HadIt.com Elder

#1. Get an independent medical exam and opinion (there are certain "nomenclature" statements that need to be made by the examining physician, certain "key words and phrases" that just simply give the VA peeps goose-bumps when they see them...............they get so excited and thrilled that I have seen more than one vet win their claim on the buzz-words alone).

#2. Download a copy of the VA Form 21-8940 from the VA website (look under the heading "forms") and fill it out and send it in along with your doctor's report.

YOU MUST USE THIS FORM!

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I agree with others: get an IMO. If you can afford too, if you have other medical insuurance besides the VA, I would be inclined towards a full battery of neuro-psyche testing to support a higher or even separate rating for cognative impairment. IMO, memory loss is not typically associated with an adjustment disorder but rather clinical depression. Memory loss has so many causes ... ~Wings

PS The fight is what keeps me alive.