VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If You Live In Georgia, You Want To Read This About Ptsd!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/law-l...amaged-license/

Veterans groups are blasting Georgia lawmakers for passing legislation that would allow a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder to appear on driver's licenses.

Not only is this unconstitutional, it's patently prejudicial.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it for EVERYONE diagnosed with PTSD, to include police, fire, domestic and rape victims (for example).

The things our government bodies are doing to ostracize veterans is completely dumbfounding, foolish, and down right discriminatory against veterans!

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Troy

I once lived in a pretty bad area in my town. I could not walk out on the street drunk or sober without being stopped by police and given twenty questions. This happened at 8pm or 12pm with no probable cause except I was walking down the sidewalk. I know what would have happened to me if I had wise cracked. Now I live in a much better area where the police are our servants, and everyone is white middle class. Big difference in attitude. If there is a crime here the police get here in minutes. In my old neighborhood when they came they came in groups ready to kick ass. I know this from experience.

I sure don't want to live in a police state. I am pretty easy to get along with and would not even mind a national I.D. card. What is bad is someone knowing about your private life without you knowing. The credit agencies know more about you than your wife probably, and it is all hooked into a system that has tendrils reaching into almost every aspect of your life.

In Florida they are going to start tracking every prescription so if you get a prescription from Walgreens for vicodin and then a few months later get percoset from CVS you may be in trouble. This I don't like. When I went to the VA pain clinic

the doctor must have asked me ten different ways to see if I was abusing or even using any other narcotic. I told him I had a drink on my birthday. His eyes bluged out of his head.........Criminal........drug addict........where is all this heat coming from? Information is being shared between VA and DEA.

Troy

I once lived in a pretty bad area in my town. I could not walk out on the street drunk or sober without being stopped by police and given twenty questions. This happened at 8pm or 12pm with no probable cause except I was walking down the sidewalk. I know what would have happened to me if I had wise cracked. Now I live in a much better area where the police are our servants, and everyone is white middle class. Big difference in attitude. If there is a crime here the police get here in minutes. In my old neighborhood when they came they came in groups ready to kick ass. I know this from experience.

I sure don't want to live in a police state. I am pretty easy to get along with and would not even mind a national I.D. card. What is bad is someone knowing about your private life without you knowing. The credit agencies know more about you than your wife probably, and it is all hooked into a system that has tendrils reaching into almost every aspect of your life.

In Florida they are going to start tracking every prescription so if you get a prescription from Walgreens for vicodin and then a few months later get percoset from CVS you may be in trouble. This I don't like. When I went to the VA pain clinic

the doctor must have asked me ten different ways to see if I was abusing or even using any other narcotic. I told him I had a drink on my birthday. His eyes bluged out of his head.........Criminal........drug addict........where is all this heat coming from? Information is being shared between VA and DEA.

Since Terry v. Ohio (US Supreme Court case), the police only need "reasonable suspicion" to stop someone and ask a few questions to ascertain whether or not criminal activity is afoot. However, they must do so quickly as any lengthy questioning then becomes detainment - i.e. an arrest; and to have an arrest the police need probable cause.

It has been my understanding (through academic and person experience) that the police, historically, have stopped people in "bad areas" more than they would other areas because of the nature of the area. If it is a "bad" area and someone looks like they don't belong and is acting out of sorts, then it's likely they'll get stopped and asked questions. And you're right, mouthing off to a cop only serves to get one into trouble.

Anyhow, I understand what you're saying...what you're all saying...but I cannot agree that we're turning into a 'police state' just quite yet. As long as the US Constitution stands as the Supreme Law of the land and the US Supreme Court upholds it (without twisting its words to mean something else entirely)...we'll be fine.

As for the data terminals in patrol cars, they pull up information tied to the vehicle registration and the owner ONLY...no medical information is attached. So yeah, citation history, if you have a concealed handgun permit on file, etc. will show up...which is a matter of officer safety. There is no information about veteran status UNLESS you register your plate as a veteran with the DMV. Then it will, one be obvious as it will indicate veteran on the license plate, and two show up on the officer's terminal if you're pulled over.

The VA sharing our medical data with private insurance without our expressed permission, I don't know about that one...so I cannot really comment other than to say if they are, without permission, they are violating our privacy rights.

Good discussion guys...think I'll have to go read up on the HIPPA stuff now.

T.S.

• HadIt.com Elder
Anyhow, I understand what you're saying...what you're all saying...but I cannot agree that we're turning into a 'police state' just quite yet. As long as the US Constitution stands as the Supreme Law of the land and the US Supreme Court upholds it...

..so I cannot really comment other than to say if they are, without permission, they are violating our privacy rights.

T.S.

When Social Security cards first came out, it stated clearly on the card, that your SS# will not be used for I.D. purposes...

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have "private insurance", as a condition of issuing and maintaining the policy, you have given the insurance company authority to obtain your medical information. Generally, if you revoke the permission, the insurance company may suspend or cancel the policy.

Since Terry v. Ohio (US Supreme Court case), the police only need "reasonable suspicion" to stop someone and ask a few questions to ascertain whether or not criminal activity is afoot. However, they must do so quickly as any lengthy questioning then becomes detainment - i.e. an arrest; and to have an arrest the police need probable cause.

It has been my understanding (through academic and person experience) that the police, historically, have stopped people in "bad areas" more than they would other areas because of the nature of the area. If it is a "bad" area and someone looks like they don't belong and is acting out of sorts, then it's likely they'll get stopped and asked questions. And you're right, mouthing off to a cop only serves to get one into trouble.

Anyhow, I understand what you're saying...what you're all saying...but I cannot agree that we're turning into a 'police state' just quite yet. As long as the US Constitution stands as the Supreme Law of the land and the US Supreme Court upholds it (without twisting its words to mean something else entirely)...we'll be fine.

As for the data terminals in patrol cars, they pull up information tied to the vehicle registration and the owner ONLY...no medical information is attached. So yeah, citation history, if you have a concealed handgun permit on file, etc. will show up...which is a matter of officer safety. There is no information about veteran status UNLESS you register your plate as a veteran with the DMV. Then it will, one be obvious as it will indicate veteran on the license plate, and two show up on the officer's terminal if you're pulled over.

The VA sharing our medical data with private insurance without our expressed permission, I don't know about that one...so I cannot really comment other than to say if they are, without permission, they are violating our privacy rights.

T.S.